Plugin Contributions

Default store.main.com or main.com/store ?

This host is giving me a headache I had a store at store.maindomain.com and then I asked them to add the www in front and they told me to apply CNAME to them to change them. I waited a day and now they say the store is at hxxp://www.main.com/store Will this be ok as far as search engines and such? I have to re-install the store because it's different. Luckily it was a blank store just starting it. Is it the same?
    Last edited by Pablosan; 7 Feb 2007 at 09:55 AM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: store.main.com or main.com/store ?

When you have a subdomain like store.main.com, there is no www in front. store.main.com is the same as main.com/store as far as the server is concerned. I don't know what search engines make of it, but I doubt it makes much difference. I don't think you need to reinstall. You might need to edit the config files, tho.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Truth be known, your store has probably always been at hxxp://www.main.com/store - The webserver for store.maindomain.com was simply pointing to it.
    As for adding the 'www' in front of 'store' the answer you were given is/was the correct one - The CNAME solution is to set the DNS as follows: www.store.somedomain.com CNAME store.somedomain.com.
    That way, any requests to "www.store.somedomain.com" simply ends up at 'store.somedomain.com'
    I've no explanation as to why they would have dropped/altered the configuration to domain.com/store rather than leaving it as it was.

I noticed the another reply made comment "I don't know what search engines make of it, but I doubt it makes much difference" - Actually, it DOES make a difference. Many search engines put more 'weight' onto a URL like "store.domain.com" than they would "domain.com/store/". IE, using both stores were set up identical, the 'store.domain.com' will probably get a higher ranking in the search engines.

Cheers
    Rod

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by RodG View Post
    Truth be known, your store has probably always been at hxxp://www.main.com/store - The webserver for store.maindomain.com was simply pointing to it.
    As for adding the 'www' in front of 'store' the answer you were given is/was the correct one - The CNAME solution is to set the DNS as follows: www.store.somedomain.com CNAME store.somedomain.com.
    That way, any requests to "www.store.somedomain.com" simply ends up at 'store.somedomain.com'
    I've no explanation as to why they would have dropped/altered the configuration to domain.com/store rather than leaving it as it was.

I noticed the another reply made comment "I don't know what search engines make of it, but I doubt it makes much difference" - Actually, it DOES make a difference. Many search engines put more 'weight' onto a URL like "store.domain.com" than they would "domain.com/store/". IE, using both stores were set up identical, the 'store.domain.com' will probably get a higher ranking in the search engines.

Cheers
    Rod
    Ya I read that you would get better results on the first url configuration store.domain.com even though the subdomain is in the same place.
    The host is hard to work with. I think what happened is the first support person was smart, the second not so much ( said the cname cant point to itself )

I'm having lots of other problems with them. Thanks for the tip.