Plugin Contributions

Default Capacity of Zen Cart (# transactions) etc.

We are starting on our third Zen Cart site and need some input.

How can I get an idea of how "big" a Zen Cart installation can get. For example, can it handle 100 transactions per hour? 500 transactions? More? Can ZenCart be used for sites that my have up to a 300% increase in daily transactions say between one day and the week before Christmas or Valentine's Day?

I realize that this is highly dependent on the hosting and hardware configuration but I am looking for some general experience in how Zen cart handles traffic and transaction load.

Also, has anybody had a need to split their Zen Cart installation so that the database is running on a completely separate server than the main site? (Can this even be done?)

Any concerns as to the number of required reads / writes to the site database?

Anyone out there wish to share some stories / sites that are "high volume" and may fit this criteria?

Thanks!!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Capacity of Zen Cart (# transactions) etc.

I know that there are stores that have in excess of 70,000 products and on a correctly configed non oversold server this can be adequate, traffic as you noted, is a different animal and I would say that if a site is generating sales and experiencing this type of traffic that they seriously consider a dedicated server as with this type of traffic/sales this is a minor expense over losing sales.

The script is not the throttle here, it is the hardware. The script can handle the traffic.

We use a SAN for all DB serving, so yes this can be configured off the base server.
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten