Hybrid View

Plugin Contributions

Default Moving from one server to another

I have a dedicated Linux server with OLM using the Ensim control panel. After 8+ years, I have decided to move to a new company, Hostway using the Plesk control panel on a Linux box. I have read some of the problems with Plesk, but so far this newer version (8.1) seems to be working great.

I had 25+ domains to move over some without stores and some with. Some were Zen and some were OSC. Surprisingly enough, the one site I was the most concerned about www.zimmernutrition.com has moved over very easily. (Knock on wood) The only problem I am seeing with this domain (so far) is the emails that are sent out to my shoppers. In the past, they always received a very nice html based email with our banner at the top and the content below. I think this was a default design, but we liked it so much we decided to keep it. Unfortunately, since we moved over to the new server, our customers are receiving a non-html looking email that is basically one long line of text. Does anyone have any idea why this would no longer work the way it used to?

Also, I have another domain, scrappinhearts.com that for some reason cannot connect to the database. I have checked and rechecked the database name, user name and password in the config file. I am able to access the ADMIN section, but when you go to the main page, all I see is the what looks like the down for maintenance page, but it says the site cannot connect to the database to try back later.

I have searched the forums and found several things but nothing that seems to either make sense or fix my problem. Here is what I have done thus far.

1. I created the domain on the new server with plesk.
    2. I TAR'd the files on the old server and SCP'd them to the new server
    3. I unTAR'd the files on the new server, changed the permissions to match the new server and put them in the appropriate place.
    4. I created a new database (different name) from within Plesk and assigned a new user name and password.
    5. Changed the configure.php files for Store and Admin section to reflect the new info.
    6. I went to the old server and EXPORTED the database and then IMPORTED it in the new one.
    7. I received a successful import message.

I have done this with other sites and so far, this domain is the only one I have had problems with.

It is probably important to mention a few key points.

1. I do see the following warning message at the top of the ADMIN page.

WARNING: The Admin Activity Log table has records over 2 months old and should be cleaned ... 12-02-2006

2. The old server was running: MySQL 3.23.58 and phpMyAdmin 2.5.6

3. The new server is running: MySQL 4.1.20 and phpMyAdmin 2.8.2.4

4. The old server was running PHP4 the new is running PHP5

5. Zen-Cart version is Zen Cart 1.3.6 with Database Patch Level: 1.3.6

Question: Is it possible this is a permissions thing? When you install Zen Cart, there is a checklist of things that need to be fixed (register globals, etc). Is there a way to view this again without reinstalling the store? Finally, in reading the forum, I found someone talked about a fix_cache_key.php file, is that something I need to do?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Moving from one server to another

Have you set Use MIME HTML When Sending Emails to TRUE in Admin/Configuration/E-Mail Options?

Quote Originally Posted by kimhuff View Post
    Unfortunately, since we moved over to the new server, our customers are receiving a non-html looking email that is basically one long line of text. Does anyone have any idea why this would no longer work the way it used to?

Plugin Contributions

Regarding scrappinhearts.com, Kim, did you assign permissions for the database user on that domain? If you'd run the ZC installer on the new domain, it would have stopped at the point where it realized the db user lacked sufficient permissions. But if you circumvented the installer, perhaps not assigning permissions to the db user is the hitch?

Plugin Contributions

As for scrappinhearts, I do think it might be a permissions thing but I dont know where or how to set these permissions. Do I do this is Plesk or in SSH?

Plugin Contributions

Beyond the admin setting for MIME email enabling, I'm out of my depth. Perhaps something to do with the individual customers' preferences for plain text versus html emails? Could this column have been altered somehow?

I think you can assign database user permissions in Plesk. I'm more of a cPanel guy myself, but on a brief trek through a Plesk interface a couple years back, I seem to recall this control. If all else fails, your hosting tech support rep should be able to point you to it, assuming you're buying third-party hosting as opposed to hosting on your own server.
    Quote Originally Posted by kimhuff View Post
    As for scrappinhearts, I do think it might be a permissions thing but I dont know where or how to set these permissions. Do I do this is Plesk or in SSH?

Plugin Contributions

I have a dedicated server with Hostway. I have those guys looking at it but they dont see it either. And this site has been down and we cant get it up and running.

Plugin Contributions

Check around on the forums for discussions about PHP5 and see if that might be the problem.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Mary Ellen,

Thanks for the idea, when I get home from work, I will do a search on PHP5. I thought that might be it, but I had talked to someone else before signing the contract for the server and I was told my version worked with PHP5.

Plugin Contributions

tvadpro,

I double checked the MIME setting under the configuration menu. It is set to true for that particular option. I had a feeling it was set properly since I didnt change it, but it was a good try.

I cant think of what else would cause the email to not work the same since I mainly just transferred the entire domain from one server to the next and imported the current database. Any other ideas?