Plugin Contributions

Default FTP'ed images are there, but not showing

I have read the articles, Original Article By: RYK

and many otehrs about setting up images. Is it my version (1.3.5) or a glitch in mine because I FTP'ed images such as pick_1_MED to medium folder, and pick_1_LRG to large folder.

I've been all over catalog add new product, but I can't see how to make ZEN pick uip the pics from those folders. My only option with a pic is to browse my comps folder and upload, each and every one, by hand, one at a time.

The artcile I read said to FTP them up,. and let the coding take it from there. But it doesn't display the pictures.

the folders are 777 BTW.

Because I will have a lot of images, small and large, I should have them in sub-folders - even tried working with ImageHandler2.

I understand, that after FTPing them up, there is or may be a way to use those pics, but I can't find that option - so - help!

I

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: FTP'ed images are there, but not showing

Your images directory structure needs to be

images/subdirectory
    images/medium/subdirectory
    images/large/subdirectory
    Development Manager @ JSWeb Ltd
    Over 15 years with Zencart

Plugin Contributions

I've been all over catalog add new product, but I can't see how to make ZEN pick uip the pics from those folders. My only option with a pic is to browse my comps folder and upload, each and every one, by hand, one at a time.
    You can FTP one or all the images i.e. _MED, _LRG, and the base image.

But in the product entry screen you must create the link to what image is to be used for this product one at a time and this info is stored in the DB

i.e.
    image.jpg entered as the image for product "A"
    another.jpg entered as the image for product "B"
    etc.
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kobra View Post

But in the product entry screen you must create the link to what image is to be used for this product one at a time and this info is stored in the DB
    That is part of my point. There is no where in the Catalog/Products/product info page where I can put a link to an image that's been FTP'ed. The only thing there is the browse for the image on my comp, to upload. If I type a link in the Browse box to the image on the site (images/MED/pic1_med.jpg), and click the preview - the pic still doesn't show.

I seem to be missing any box that I manually place a typed in link, some several hundred times - which it's going to take to get all pics showing!

I even tried the ImageHandler2 - and it too doesn't seem to have the feature to grab the FTP pics.

Plugin Contributions

To create the link you are gong to have to do this several hundred times - so don't make it harder than it already is and use the browse for the main image and FTP for the _MED & _LRG images

At least using browse you do not have to type the names!!! (over & over & over)
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by kobra View Post
    To create the link you are gong to have to do this several hundred times - so don't make it harder than it already is and use the browse for the main image and FTP for the _MED & _LRG images

At least using browse you do not have to type the names!!! (over & over & over)
    Now it starts to make sense. I guess Zen will see the Main pic name, and where needed, will find the main pics MED and LRG partners without my having to browse those up as well - just FTP them.

I'd rather pick fly poop out of pepper shakers wearing boxing gloves - but if it's the easiest way - someone has to do it I shall get started -

[edit] By the way - have to ask this - why am I doing this? I mean, if Zen resizes images small on the procut Index list, Med on the Product Info page, and Large in the pop up, why would we be making 3 pics of each product pic i.e., normal, med and lrg?

Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by ikoiko; 11 Feb 2007 at 07:57 PM.

Plugin Contributions

By the way - have to ask this - why am I doing this? I mean, if Zen resizes images small on the procut Index list, Med on the Product Info page, and Large in the pop up, why would we be making 3 pics of each product pic i.e., normal, med and lrg?
    The basic reason is for image quality for large images and page loading speed using the smaller images...

General rule of thumb:
    main = 3-5k
    Med = 5-10k
    Lrg = something reasonable

I like the 3 image naming system as one can actually use different images for main, med & lrg if desired as long as named the same with the suffix.(Zen only looks at the name and not the image)

There is a module "ih2" = image handler 2 - that dynamically creates the 3 images from one larger image that you might be interested in and it is in the downloads area
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten