Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Website Payment Pro

IS it required to run the Express Checkout Module?

I keep reading that it is not, but PayPal Tech support said it was.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Website Payment Pro

NO- WPP is not required to run PayPal Express - BUT- PayPal Express is required to use WPP. Note WPP is not yet supported by Zen Cart.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    NO- WPP is not required to run PayPal Express - BUT- PayPal Express is required to use WPP. Note WPP is not yet supported by Zen Cart.
    Thank you for that clarification. I will keep looking for my PayPal Express solutuion then!

Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Re: Website Payment Pro

Hello, Kim, Merlin:

I just sign up a "website payment pro" solution from paypal. When I talked with their "technical support" team, they don't have a clue about their own module!!They asked me to check with zencart team instead!

I read almost all the messages about "website payment pro" in the forum. I decided to save my heandache and wait for the zencart team's future configuration, instead of trying to implementing blindly by myself.

By the way, kim and merlin are really funny guys. I especially like merlin's "cool humor".

I am looking forward to seeing zencart's new version with "website payment pro" or something similiar like that.

Lina

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lina0962 View Post
    I am looking forward to seeing zencart's new version with "website payment pro" or something similiar like that.
    We are too ...

Give us time ... it's coming ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    We are too ...

Give us time ... it's coming ...
    ETA? C'mon! Throw me a bone! I am just about ready to abandon Paypal all together! Too many screens and too many abandoned carts.

Plugin Contributions

Here catch!!!

Sooner rather than later!!!
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

I'm hoping to get some clarification, would very much appreciate everyone's input on some thoughts...

.. I read elsewhere on zen-cart forum that the PayPal TOS forcing Express to be offered with WPP is on "page 19" of the manual. I can't find a manual. I have the tech guide. Where exactly is this WPP-requires-Express rule?

I realize the following is pretty editorialized, and more rightly belongs on a PayPal forum. Believe me I'm not stopping here. I run a bunch of different carts. If you Zen Cart guys figured this out first then I'd be very grateful if you'd share your thoughts. After I gather more info I'll be doing a lot of talking with PayPal, as well as a bunch of other cart vendors.

... So are we really saying that we have to offer our customers a way to pay without ever gathering their personal info to the vendor's website first? Because if that's enforced the consequences are devestating.

There are NO CARTS on the planet that work that way, and for a reason. We never want to get our customer information FROM the payment vendor, that's their private business between themselves and the payment vendor. If this rule is accurate PayPal is forcing the cart vendors to allow payPal customers to SHARE their PAYPAL INFO with the online store. Which is, of course, absurd.

This rule forces me to create a customer record AFTER receiving payment. I cannot link the cart to the buyer until after PayPal tells me who the buyer is. What a great way to lose valuable marketing information. PayPal is dictating whether or not a customer voluntarily gives my store info.

I assume they're trying to protect customers from entering personal info on websites when the only reason to share that info is for payment and shipping. Isn't that absurd on the face of it? I have to store the customer's shipping info, how else will I know where to ship the product?

I can get by with a paypal token representing the customer's billing address, and I can see how that protects customers who want to avoid sharing their billing address with the online vendor. But this is silly. Customers always have the ability to enter bogus billing info in the store's billing info area. We could even offer to ONLY take shipping info. But to dictate WHICH ORDER we take the info? We have to get the info one way or another, at some point in the process. What difference does it make if we get it before or after payment? We're still going to ask for it.

Credit card companies have successfully done business for over 50 years without the absurd requirement that we are not allowed to know who are customer is before the customer pays.

I'm sure they're trying to protect someone who gave billing info to an online vendor, but this method surely will protect no one. The anxious customer who prefers to give their data to paypal will still have their data sent from paypal back to the store, yes? And we will have to get the shipping info which more often than not IS the billing info. And what difference does it make to anyone, how does PayPal protect anyone, if we gather the shipping info before or after we get the payment info?

I am very grateful for any light shed on this issue. There are many smart and well-informed people on this forum, I am looking forward to your replies, corrections to my assumptions, agreements with my arguments, disagreements with my arguments.....

thanks

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by CarolineBogart View Post
    I'm hoping to get some clarification, would very much appreciate everyone's input on some thoughts...

<snip>

I realize the following is pretty editorialized, and more rightly belongs on a PayPal forum. Believe me I'm not stopping here. I run a bunch of different carts. If you Zen Cart guys figured this out first then I'd be very grateful if you'd share your thoughts. After I gather more info I'll be doing a lot of talking with PayPal, as well as a bunch of other cart vendors.

... So are we really saying that we have to offer our customers a way to pay without ever gathering their personal info to the vendor's website first? Because if that's enforced the consequences are devestating.

There are NO CARTS on the planet that work that way, and for a reason. We never want to get our customer information FROM the payment vendor, that's their private business between themselves and the payment vendor. If this rule is accurate PayPal is forcing the cart vendors to allow payPal customers to SHARE their PAYPAL INFO with the online store. Which is, of course, absurd.

This rule forces me to create a customer record AFTER receiving payment. I cannot link the cart to the buyer until after PayPal tells me who the buyer is. What a great way to lose valuable marketing information. PayPal is dictating whether or not a customer voluntarily gives my store info.

I assume they're trying to protect customers from entering personal info on websites when the only reason to share that info is for payment and shipping. Isn't that absurd on the face of it? I have to store the customer's shipping info, how else will I know where to ship the product?

I can get by with a paypal token representing the customer's billing address, and I can see how that protects customers who want to avoid sharing their billing address with the online vendor. But this is silly. Customers always have the ability to enter bogus billing info in the store's billing info area. We could even offer to ONLY take shipping info. But to dictate WHICH ORDER we take the info? We have to get the info one way or another, at some point in the process. What difference does it make if we get it before or after payment? We're still going to ask for it.

Credit card companies have successfully done business for over 50 years without the absurd requirement that we are not allowed to know who are customer is before the customer pays.

I'm sure they're trying to protect someone who gave billing info to an online vendor, but this method surely will protect no one. The anxious customer who prefers to give their data to paypal will still have their data sent from paypal back to the store, yes? And we will have to get the shipping info which more often than not IS the billing info. And what difference does it make to anyone, how does PayPal protect anyone, if we gather the shipping info before or after we get the payment info?

I am very grateful for any light shed on this issue. There are many smart and well-informed people on this forum, I am looking forward to your replies, corrections to my assumptions, agreements with my arguments, disagreements with my arguments.....
    It's unfortunate that the philosphy post piggybacked on a somewhat unrelated topic.

You are correct. PayPal is twisting the way checkout occurs. They are preying on customers' desire for privacy and security by marketing their payment solution as the better choice. In reality, the info must be shared anyway. But, marketing is marketing. That's what it is. If you want to change that, you need to take it up with them ... or just don't use it.

You're not obligated to use Express Checkout. Zen Cart also offers Website Payments Standard (known as PayPal IPN in the modules listing). Technically you could also rework things to offer "PayPal as an additional payment option" and not offer Express Checkout at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolineBogart
    .. I read elsewhere on zen-cart forum that the PayPal TOS forcing Express to be offered with WPP is on "page 19" of the manual. I can't find a manual. I have the tech guide. Where exactly is this WPP-requires-Express rule?
    They do require that you offer Express Checkout if you offer the credit-card payment fields on your own site as part of Website Payments Pro, a feature known technically as "Direct Payment". As long as DP is available, EC must also be available according to TOS. But that is the only time it's "required".

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    It's unfortunate that the philosphy post piggybacked on a somewhat unrelated topic.
    My apologies. Is there a better forum for this conversation?

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    They do require that you offer Express Checkout if you offer the credit-card payment fields on your own site as part of Website Payments Pro, a feature known technically as "Direct Payment". As long as DP is available, EC must also be available according to TOS. But that is the only time it's "required".
    Would you possibly have that reference?

thank you so much for your thoughts.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast