Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Website Payment Pro

1. Your post says you're using "the most recent version download". But, lotsa folks "say" that and think they really do have the latest, but sometimes they've grabbed the wrong file.
    What exact version do you have?

2. The newest "patch" for PayPal support in v1.3.7.x was released June 17:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showth...6&goto=newpost and is included in the Zen Cart v1.3.7.1 fileset.

3. Note that my earlier posts says that the symptoms you're reporting are "typical of" using an older module. I have no idea if you are or are not.

4. If you're happy with the IPN module, this is all pointless discussion.

FYI - Website Payments Pro is now supported in v1.3.8 and newer

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Hi Dr. Byte,

I'm using 1.3.7.x and downloaded sometime in June. I don't have the exact date, but I will check out the link. Not exactly happy with the IPN either because it doesn't give details of the order correctly. I was trying to find a way around that problem, and Merlin mentioned getting the Express, but there were problems there too. Anyway, I'll take another look at that and give it a try. Thanks for your help. :-)

Kinget

Plugin Contributions

See postosc.com for a zen-cart direct payment module. The module uses certificates instead of signatures. So, you either have to use their express checkout and their direct payment, or, if you want to use the Zen Cart express payment (ideal) and their direct payment module, you have to modify it if you are a programmer to use signatures instead of certificates.

We do seem to have their direct payment module working with signatures (though not completely 100% confident yet, we did take a payment), alongside the zen cart express payment module. I believe the combination does meet the requirements of the PAYPAL TOS. I think this will be similar to what Zen Cart will have in 1.3.8, at least I hope so. As has been said elsewhere though, the only downside, is you are on your own. Which is a pretty big downside unless you are confident you can fix any trouble you run into.

If I am not mistaken, you do not want to use the POSTOSC express checkout module as they DO violate the TOS.

Is it really the case that a payment received via Paypal instantly is available for spending? Unlike a normal merchant account which has anywhere from 2-5 days lag time? it seems that way, and if so, that's a *huge* advantage.
    Last edited by Kim; 7 Aug 2007 at 09:15 PM.
    Steve Fatula

Plugin Contributions

Hi sfatula,

First off, I am not very familiar with Zen Cart, but I am familiar with PayPal. The money will be available in your PayPal account immediately, but if something goes wrong with the transaction (buyer disputes it), they will freeze that transaction immediately. If you do not the required amount in your account, they will deduct directly from your bank account (which you will have to register with them) without asking. So, yes you will have access to the money immediately, but PayPal will do whatever the want, whenever they want. For example, we sold an item off our website (www.ipodpartsonline.com) and I had it packaged up and ready to go when I just happened to check our email before I left for the post office and found that the transaction had been put on hold (PayPal took the money back) because the buyer's account had been compromised. We've been using them both personally and professionally for the past 7 years and have never had a major problem and in general they are good to work with.

Hope this helps.

Plugin Contributions

Idea or Suggestion Re: Website Payment Pro

This is a request for an opinion that is directed to Dr Byte.
    This seems like such an obvious question - but I have not seen it posted anywhere.
    I currently use PayPal and PayPal Express without problems. I also have a credit card processing service that I want to divorce myself from because of their fees. - If your customer pays with a rewards type credit card - your fees can be 3.88%
    For that reason I am looking at Google Checkout and Web Payments Pro as an alternative.
    I would rather wait for your modification for Web Payments Pro unless you think that in the long run Google will be a better program with smoother integration.
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by 2004g35 View Post
    This is a request for an opinion that is directed to Dr Byte.
    I am looking at Google Checkout and Web Payments Pro ...

I would rather wait for your modification for Web Payments Pro unless you think that in the long run Google will be a better program with smoother integration.
    While some may disagree, and I might be somewhat misinformed, I don't think the google checkout support is reliable and ready for prime time. From the discussions I've read here on the forum, there are still numerous cases where data doesn't transfer happily between your store to GC and vice versa.
    And, GC requires that your customers create a GC account in order to checkout. PayPal doesn't always require that.

You asked for an opinion ... those are some random thoughts you might want to consider while weighing your options.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Having used both Google check and Paypal (and now you have express checkout and direct payment), clearly, Paypal is not wanting to cede the market to Google.

Google checkout has the advantage of 0% fees the rest of the year! Not 3%, 0%. Next year, you get a percentage of the transaction fees in adwords credits. As much as spend on Adwords, this is better for us than free processing even. So, we definitely supported Google Checkout. Definitely, the google code has a lot of bugs, and, unless you are a programmer, not easy to find fixes for all of them. One of the biggest issues is shipping quotes if you use real time quote modules, but, your mileage may vary.

Paypal of course would be the more traditional route once direct payments are supported with stock Zen Cart. As it will appear as any other merchant account always did. And, since you can do real credit card payments and traditional paypal, far easier to meet the 10k monthly for a 2.2% rate. And, I don't see where there are ANY additional fees for business cards, etc.

Some won't use Google Checkout because it's Google, some will. So, for me, the best answer is to use both!

The potential loser in all this is the traditional merchant gateways and providers.

Yes, those business card fees and others really add up.

Yes, thanks for the reply back on the instant money available. Yes, any given transaction may be held up and that is fine. But if you have a lot of them in any given day, the odds are certain all of them would not be. So, it's far ahead of waiting 2-5 days! This is a great side benefit. And, one leg up on Google checkout.
    Last edited by Kim; 7 Aug 2007 at 11:17 PM.
    Steve Fatula

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by sfatula View Post
    Google checkout has the advantage of 0% fees the rest of the year! Not 3%, 0%.
    PayPal has a similar no-fee promotion worth checking out:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=15

And Website Payments Pro is now supported in Zen Cart v1.3.8 and newer.

Plugin Contributions

if you give your customers too many options they get confused,
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for your help. My gut feeling was to stick with one payment company - but provide several payment options for my customers.
    I would agree - there are nearly 2000 posts on Google Checkout - there is a problem somewhere.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast