Plugin Contributions

help question Multiple Products-Same Attributes-Same Category

I promise I've read and read, but still can't seem to find my exact needed answer. Hoping to get this clear in my mind once and for all..........

I have 300 different rugs with the same attributes going in the same sub-category.

see here: http://www.shabbychiccottage.com/ind...ex&cPath=14_21

(that's a looooong link so if it breaks up when I post this, you can go to:
    http://www.shabbychiccottage.com/

click on second category Dollhouse Miniatures

then Fancy Rugs

I have entered only a few and copied the attributes for each individually. A daunting task to repeat 300 times.

Here are my questions:

1. Do I enter all 300 rugs with no attributes and then create a "dummy" product with those same attributes in "another" category so that I can then "copy" attributes to a "category"? (in my case a sub-category)

If so, that means that during the time I am inputing the 300 rugs, they will not have any attributes until I can "copy" them all at once. So if a customer happens to be shopping during that time, they will not be able to choose the size because it will not show up as a choice. Right?

2. Is there a way to set attributes in my "fancy rugs" sub-category so that any future rugs that are listed will automatically pick up and display the attributes? i.e. can the attributes be set for a category BEFORE product is entered instead of AFTER product is entered?

TIA
    Shirley

** EDITED *** Never ever post in a forum, email, newsletter etc. the zenid or zenAdminID or you will be doomed!!
    Last edited by Ajeh; 17 Feb 2007 at 08:27 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Multiple Products-Same Attributes-Same Category

1. You can add the attributes to one item in the category and then copy to the same category. No need to have a dummy category to copy from. Its how I change attribute info for a category. Just change attribute on first product and then copy to same category to change the rest in the category. You can also turn off the category while entering products so it doesn't show by clicking on the green status icon. After entering the products and adding the attributes just click the icon again to turn the category back on.

2. no
    Last edited by barco57; 17 Feb 2007 at 08:30 AM.
    Mike
    GeekHost - Zen Cart Certified & PCI Compliant Hosting
    The Zen Cart Forum...Better than a monitor covered with post-it notes!

Plugin Contributions

Thank you, Mike!

Your answer was very helpful. I tried it using the Copy Attributes to another category from:
    Dollhouse Miniature Christmas Medley Rug ID# 363 (even though I am copying to the "same" category)

(note: why does it say "another" category? that's why I inquired about the "dummy" product in "another" category)

then I did:
    "Update with new settings/prices, then add new ones". or should I have used:
    Delete first, then copy new attributes or
    Ignore and add only new attributes

It works but you get a warning that it cant copy ID#363 to ID#363. but that's no biggie and is logical.

The best part of your answer was finding out I can turn off categories. I'm really new to ZEN and hadn't discovered that yet, so many thanks!

So what I will do is turn off that category, add my products, copy the attributes from one of the ones already done and then turn the category back on. super!

Plugin Contributions

You did fine. Isn't it nice when the light bulb comes on. For some attributes can be diificult to wrap your head around but once you get it.....all things are good.
    Mike
    GeekHost - Zen Cart Certified & PCI Compliant Hosting
    The Zen Cart Forum...Better than a monitor covered with post-it notes!

Plugin Contributions

Just curious............why was my first post edited by Ajeh with this ?

** EDITED *** Never ever post in a forum, email, newsletter etc. the zenid or zenAdminID or you will be doomed!! Last edited by Ajeh : 17th February 2007 at 11:27 AM.

I did not post the zenid or the zenAdminID. All I did was give a link to a page on my live site.

Plugin Contributions

I took out the session id that was in your link ...

You have to becareful not to accidentally post those ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Thank you, Ajeh! I just copied the page link and did not realize it had extra info in it. I will be more careful now that I know...............

many thanks,
    Shirley

Plugin Contributions

Not a problem ...

I try to catch those when I see them to keep your site safer ...
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Hi all.
    I have serious doubt with the entire attributes system.

in my shop, each product has about 25 attributes. Some of them have up to 30 options (i am not creazy, i am selling prescription lenses!)

Now, because the system the way it is now make me save EACH option for EACH attributes for EACH product, my attributes table has about 260 options for each product. the DB is already about to blow.

Now, my problem is not much about the admin panel, for how to add options to a product or not. But really about the DB.
    Isnt it there anyway to make this information cleaner and lighter?

according to my understanding of the problem, i should build a template of attributues(and related options) then apply it to the selected articles.
    so i shouldnt have a product_to_attributesOptions any more, but a product_to_template only.

when i display product_info.php i should load all the information related to the product + all the attributes in the linked template. thats it.

I am wrong? am i missing any important information in my logic?

please advice on this. Please let me know if any one has worked on this before.
    thanks

Plugin Contributions

jacopo3001 ... let's stick to 1 thread on this ...
    http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59894
    Linda McGrath