Plugin Contributions

help question $zc_skip_products and $zc_skip_categories

Greeting:
    This is in regard to adding products and categories at will in admin, and the way functionality changed from v1.2.7 to v1.3.7.

In admin/categories.php two new variables were introduced since 1.2.7 that control the display of the add product and add category buttons.
    In zc1.3.7, $zc_skip_products and $zc_skip_categories are calculated boolean flags that keep new subcategories from being created if there are products already within a category, and visa-versa. In another thread I asked why this was so, and what the problem was with the creation of new products in a category that already had subcategories. I was told that there were search and pricing issues, but that nothing much more was known.

Here I ask the questions as a main topic:
    • Why was this logic introduced?
    • What does it solve?
    • If I disable it and show the buttons by leaving both booleans set to false will it harm anything, and why?
    • If I leave it enabled and simply move a product from another subcategory into the place I desire it to be alongside other subcategories at the same level, is that ok?
    • And if it is ok, but creating them there on the spot is not, then what is the difference between the two methods of getting a product to be where I want it to be?
    • If its not ok, then why isn't it prevented? Shouldn't it be?

I am not looking for a workaround here. I am looking for the reasoning for adding the code in the first place. I have a highly modified implementation of ZenCart, and I don't want it to break. The inference here is that it will break if I disable the calculation of those two boolean values.

For reference, please see my posts and JetTrue's responses in this thread where she proposes I start this topic.

Please let me know if I was not clear in my intention here and I will try to clarify. I look forward to a rigorous discussion.

-Bill Wheaton
    http://neasesneedlwork.com

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: $zc_skip_products and $zc_skip_categories

Categories cannot hold both Categories and Products ... to prevent this, these are now controlled by the code as people forget and cause issues on pricing, listings, functionality, etc.
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Linda, first, thanks for your incredible dedication. I see your helpful posts and responses all over the place. This truly is an amazing product, head and shoulders above anything else I have seen, and I hope to see that continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    Categories cannot hold both Categories and Products ... to prevent this, these are now controlled by the code as people forget and cause issues on pricing, listings, functionality, etc.
    If I remove the contraint placed by the code change to categories.php, will it revert to the old functionality (issues and all)?
    If I leave everything intact, what happens when I move a product to a category that has subcategories? Same problem?
    When you say "...as people forget and cause issues..." it insinuates that we knew at some point and were warned not to do that. Was there a tech note somewhere saying not to do that until the control code is deployed? Does it mention what the symptoms, causes and consequences are?

I keep hearing that categories cannot hold both categories and products, but that is only partly true. In the context of ZenCart, you might be right, but its just not true in other hierarhical outlining systems. So what are these issues, exactly, with pricing, listings and so forth?

As I say, I have a very modified site, and I have not run into pricing, listing issues yet, that I am aware of. I am not afraid to dig into the code to customize it. I find the overide customization system quit useful in that matter. I am quite familiar with php, java, javascript, vb, lotusScript, perl, even c++ and masm if I need to go back that many years to my BIOS writing days, so its not a problem to do the analysis. I have several custom product types configured and more on the way and an idea to auto-gen new types.

But if there is anything I need to be aware of; certain circumstances that can be problematic with the category/product issue that I can code or plan around or just not do; and it sounds like there is, then I would like to know. Is it possible to be a little more forthcoming? I have all the code for all versions and inspected the change logs. It looks like the change was introduced in 1.3.0 with the other category changes, and further changes in 1.3.0.1

I can find out what you are talking about if I have to, but a hint at what's involved would be a most welcome hand up. I'm not asking for support on anything that doesn't already exist or hasn't existed in the past. I am not asking about my code or my changes, or even a fix, but rather what is already there and might be well documented somewhere.

This all sounds so mysterious, Linda, and I don't think that is your intention. I'd rather not code by rumour, rote, and anecdote, and I am afraid that knowledge such as this may slip away so that we are. I am always happy (pleased, elated even) to share things I come across with the community to help make it even better.

-Bill Wheaton

Plugin Contributions

While you currently have things mixed up ... you can safetly move the Products out of Categories with SubCategories and get things cleaned up ...

This has alway been an issue and with all of the additional features in Zen Cart there really isn't a "work around" as the issues will compound over time and get worse rather than better ...

Clean the Products and Categories up and you will be a lot happier camper ...

Categories are tested for Products ...

Categories are tested for Categories ...

This is not always done simultaneously for speed issues etc.

Calculations and sorting assume the same thing ... Categories or Products ... not both mixed ...

In v1.3.x we were tired of fixing issues for people related to these problems and to ensure that they not start from the git go ... the blocks were added ...

With Product Types and Category Types and all of the Pricing methods and Display Features etc. etc. etc. if would take too long to detail all of the circumstances where issues happen ...

We have more listings, capabilities and functionality that following this rule allows us to do without one thing interferring with another ...

So ... the best I can really say is ... don't do it ... that is why that safety is built in there ...
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Great answer, Linda. Thanks. Now I know what I am getting into and where to start looking. I sure I will find what you mean with those tidbits. This also affects the way I have custom products as well, so I needed that info in order to decide to go on with them in the new version, or to back up and punt.

Just bought you a cup of coffee.

-Bill Wheaton
    http://neasesneedlework.com

Plugin Contributions

Thanks very much for the coffee ...

NOTE: while the other versions did not have the safety all of them had the issues ...

So fixing your Categories and Products is the solution ...
    Linda McGrath