Plugin Contributions

help question New Build Old Database

I want to do this right and I want to start clean. I want to keep my products and my customer info, but other than that I want to start clean, as I was in the dark big time with the over ride system and didn't use it at 1st. I want to start fresh and do it right this time.

So are these the right steps.

Install a fresh copy of zen cart with database, then upload my tables to the database, then do a update of the database. This is right?

What tables should I import and how do I do that? I know how to download my database and upload that, but I don't want to upload all of it right? Just the products and the customer info. Also I need to put the images over too right?

Thanks as always
    Skin Evolution.
    Lynda.com,its a great place to learn.
    Camelot Hosting,it's where my site calls home!

E-Start your Zen-Cart,KH is the Man, Thanks for all the hard work!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: New Build Old Database

On an upgrade you start with a copy of your entire database and let the Upgrader upgrade all of your tables ...

You don't need to peice and part your tables ... they will be upgraded for you from what you have copied from the old database to your new database ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

but will that not also include things like image handler, user tracking, and other mods that have been done to the cart. Seems like I have some weird problems. Like I tired to install the time zone offset and that jacked my cart up and I had to reinstall the user tracking, just really want to start fresh. I guess I can try both ways and see if the update works well.
    Skin Evolution.

Plugin Contributions

... I am wondering about the same thing. Could I just delete tables that are assosiated with the mods I do not want to continue to use, or will that screw up the cart? (probably a question that totally gives away the fact that I have no idea...)

Plugin Contributions

Depending on the version of ZC you are upgrading from, the mods you have already installed may or may not work. I had to install the new admin levels mod because I took a site from 1.2.7 to 1.3.7.

I found the easiest way to do that upgrade was to install 1.3.7 in a separate location (I used another domain, but you can easily put it in a separate folder where your live cart is) with its own db. I tinkered with the look of the site in the test location. Once I was satisfied, I took the live site down for maintenance and uploaded 1.3.7 WITH the custom template to the live site. I changed the paths in the config files to point to the live site. When I ran zc_install, all I had to do was run the db upgrade since ZC 1.3.7 was already "installed". After that I took a look at what mods I needed to reinstall.

It worked like a charm. No data was lost and the site was back up in a few minutes.

The site in question is in my sig.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

I really just want to start fresh, but don't want to lose my customer orders. Also my products I would like to keep their order the same, the url for each as google/yahoo has me listed really high in Japanese and don't want to lose the good links. I will not start working on this for about two weeks or so, so I will update as I go.
    Skin Evolution.

Plugin Contributions

What I suggest will allow you to start "fresh". You will be overwriting the version of ZC you have installed and replacing it with 1.3.7. If you follow the steps I outlined, you will retain all your data (customers, orders, etc).

DO NOT simply upload 1.3.7 to your live site and run the installer. That will wipe your database and you'll lose everything.

The site in my sig went from 1.2.7 to 1.3.7 without losing any data. There isn't anything 1.2.7 left to the site. It could just as easily be a clean install.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey