Plugin Contributions

Default Setting up backdoor only links to products

We are under MAP (manuf. advertised pricing) rules for some of our products. However, when it comes time to clear the channel for new versions, etc, the manufacturers turn their head to some below MAP sales. We still cannot blatently advertise the prices. but, we can say 'call for pricing' or 'email for pricing' without getting into hot water.

Here's the problem. Say a customer calls for a price or emails. We tell them. Then what?

As far as i can tell, if you change a product to 'Call for pricing' there is no way for the customer to add it to the cart and buy it.

Is there a way to create a page/link hidden from the site's navigation and search function? Then, in our email reply we could send them the 'hidden link' with which they can make their purchase.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Setting up backdoor only links to products

Quote Originally Posted by cudaboy71 View Post
    We are under MAP (manuf. advertised pricing) rules for some of our products. However, when it comes time to clear the channel for new versions, etc, the manufacturers turn their head to some below MAP sales. We still cannot blatently advertise the prices. but, we can say 'call for pricing' or 'email for pricing' without getting into hot water.

Here's the problem. Say a customer calls for a price or emails. We tell them. Then what?

As far as i can tell, if you change a product to 'Call for pricing' there is no way for the customer to add it to the cart and buy it.

Is there a way to create a page/link hidden from the site's navigation and search function? Then, in our email reply we could send them the 'hidden link' with which they can make their purchase.
    create these items as Douments instead of products..list them in a new document category so the category doesnt list. then enable your Documents sidebox.. copy link locations and then disable document sidebox... Bingo invisible categories and products.....

Plugin Contributions

much thanks. i'll give that a try.

Plugin Contributions

well, i couldnt figure out the 'documents' catagory. maybe because i'm still running 1.2.6d. but, the only category i can add to is 'top'...and, they all show up in the main sidebox.

BUT, i was able to just add a regular category and disable it. then i added products and categories in that disabled category and manually enabled each product.

that works fine. only i had to go into the products table via myPHPAdmin and change the date added field so it doesnt show up in the 'new products' listing.

they still show up in a search, and a full listing. i dunno what i can do about the search. but, i think i've got a handle on the full listing. close enough to go ahead and post the products. a little due diligence goes a long way with our suppliers...so long as we arent being blatent everything's cool.

thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by cudaboy71 View Post
    well, i couldnt figure out the 'documents' catagory. maybe because i'm still running 1.2.6d. but, the only category i can add to is 'top'...and, they all show up in the main sidebox.

BUT, i was able to just add a regular category and disable it. then i added products and categories in that disabled category and manually enabled each product.

that works fine. only i had to go into the products table via myPHPAdmin and change the date added field so it doesnt show up in the 'new products' listing.

they still show up in a search, and a full listing. i dunno what i can do about the search. but, i think i've got a handle on the full listing. close enough to go ahead and post the products. a little due diligence goes a long way with our suppliers...so long as we arent being blatent everything's cool.

thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.
    well even if it is a document it comes up in the search.... since my hidden products are not duplicates and only dealers know about them it doesnt matter if they show up in the search....