Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Could not instatiate mail function

hi. I am testing my checkout sequence on my local host still and confirming all things are calculating correctly and stuff... After pressing the "confirm order" button to seal the sale I get the error msg: "Email Error: Could not instatiate mail function".

I have the settings of the Config/ Email Options set as per the attached screenshot.

My first question is of course that since I am only on local host can i infact "send" an email? and if so what settings should i make to test it out. Thank you very much in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Could not instatiate mail function

Email Error: Could not instantiate mail function
    This means that the selected mail transport method cannot be used to launch email services and connect to an email server.

Since you've selected PHP as mail-transport method, it's relying on your server's PHP configuration for sending email. If your server does not have email functions enabled to allow "sending" email, then the above error is to be expected.

You'll need to install some sort of mailserver service on your localhost server if you wish to send mail this way.

You could try using the SMTPAUTH method and then enter all the relevant SMTP credentials at the bottom of the Email Options listing to match the email authorization info for another mailserver. The default mail port is 25, but many ISP's block this, so you may need to ask your email server's host about alternate ports they may have available.
    Sending mail from a localhost server is not always easy, due to a multitude of challenges typically encountered. Using a live webserver typically solves the problem.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

http://www.argosoft.com/RootPages/Ma...r/Default.aspx
    Above mail programme works fine with zencart on localhost

Plugin Contributions

Following DrByte's advice I changed the Email Transport Method to smtp, left the port at 25, and it worked!

Plugin Contributions

I got this message when I had forgot to setup the email account I was using in the shop

All I had to do was set up email forwarding or an inbox for the email account I specified in the set up and I no longer got this message

Plugin Contributions

After working fine for many months, I am now seeing this error with no changes having been made to my configuration (using PHP to send mail). Does anyone know of a reason why this problem would suddenly pop up?

It is affecting messages sent via the contact us page and also appears at the conclusion of a transaction which would normally generate a confirmation e-mail before showing the "transaction complete" page. Instead, I just get this error.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by brennon View Post
    After working fine for many months, I am now seeing this error with no changes having been made to my configuration (using PHP to send mail). Does anyone know of a reason why this problem would suddenly pop up?
    Usually such "sudden" malfunctions are a result of changes to your server, made by your hosting company.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Well, my hosting service has been unresponsive so far, but I changed the transport method to sendmail, and it seems to be working now.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    This means that the selected mail transport method cannot be used to launch email services and connect to an email server.
    I have the same problem. I also use PHP like the orig poster. The strange thing is that I use a hand-coded page on the same domain/server outside of ZenCart where PHP mail works perfectly fine:
    Code:
    <?php
    $kontakt = $_POST["kontakt"];
    $to = "[email protected]";
    $subject = "Neuer Kontakt eingegangen";
    $headers = "From: [email protected]";
    mail($to,$subject,$kontakt,$headers);
    ?>
    Obviously, the selected mail transport method CAN be used. Seems very straight-forward. But on ZenCart, when I try to send myself an email through Contact Us, I get:
    "Email Error: Could not instantiate mail function. Please check Admin->Configuration->Email Options->Email Transport."

Why?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dude_s View Post
    when I try to send myself an email through Contact Us, I get Email Error ...
    What do you have set for your Admin->Configuration->Email Options->Contact us Pulldown? What happens if you leave it blank?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast