Page 2 of 123 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: My Checkout Without Account Mod

One other thing I just thought of...
    How will this work with the 'Order Steps' mod and/or the Ty Package Tracker?
    I'll finish that project tomorrow, I've made enough mistakes today!

Plugin Contributions

Just seen your readme update note about hidden text variable - which I guess answers my query above re html acknowledgements

Plugin Contributions

Hi, so if there is any way to auto logoff on completion of check out, it should be perfect? So if the guy decides to add something after checking out, he will have to key in all the address again.

So technically, we would be looking at managing a bunch of new accounts with dots behind their email addresses?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ronwong View Post
    Hi, so if there is any way to auto logoff on completion of check out, it should be perfect? So if the guy decides to add something after checking out, he will have to key in all the address again.

So technically, we would be looking at managing a bunch of new accounts with dots behind their email addresses?
    I said from the buyer's side it wasn't a problem, BUT I was curious as to HOW it would show up on the Admin side.

Also if the customer *thinks* he hasn't created an account, but clicks a log off button that tells him he has logged out of *his account*, they may get a little concerned/confused. I don't think an auto log-out is necessary, just maybe a different page to land on with alternative verbiage.

Maybe we could change the dots to *red asterisks*.

Plugin Contributions

TPHoare: Regarding e-mails, I think I'll go ahead and bring the html/text option forward again, with some optional instructions for hiding it as I've done.

Boggled: Thanks for noticing that language issue. I'll go ahead and clear that up. As for the neater version, that is controllable in the admin. At the moment, it's linked to the settings of your regular account creation page, so you turn fields off and on by adjusting your...I forget, I think it's somewhere under customer details. I think I'll put in an auxiliary readme with details like that.

The only things I've flat out removed from the no_account page are date of birth, phpBB integration, and newsletter sign up.

As for the issue of allowing users to remain "logged in" outside of the checkout process, I've wondered about this myself. On the admin side, it's no difference at all so long as it doesn't confuse the user. There does need to be a way for a customer "without an account" to log off, but an account should not be mentioned.

As ronwong has brought up, an auto logoff on checkout completion would be nice, and would address some of these issues. I'm guessing that will be simple enough, and I think this is something else I'll put in the auxiliary readme. Once everything is working correctly I think I'll move these options out of the readme and into an admin control panel, including separate control over the no_account fields.

Yes, the e-mail addresses of the invisible accounts do all have the '.' at the end. This isn't an administrative challenge, however, because they operate identically to ones without dots on the end, except they're non-identical to searches.

Also, TPHoare, you mentioned a page where you could look up order status with an e-mail address and an order number. That should be pretty easy to whip up, and I think it's a great idea, something that buy.com uses I think. That's also going onto my list.

Finally, Boggled you mention Order Steps and Ty Package Tracker. I plan on modifying Tableless Order Steps as an optional add-on for this. I looked a bit at Ty Package Tracker, but I'm not really familiar with it. What features are you curious/concerned about in particular?

Thank you again for all of the feedback,
    Joe
    Now J_Schilz
    Integrated Checkout Without Account
    (wiki w/pics, demo, download)

Plugin Contributions

Finally, Boggled you mention Order Steps and Ty Package Tracker. I plan on modifying Tableless Order Steps as an optional add-on for this. I looked a bit at Ty Package Tracker, but I'm not really familiar with it. What features are you curious/concerned about in particular?
    The Ty Package Tracker allows you to enter a tracking number into the order on the Admin side and then it emails the information to the customer. Like the confirmation email, it includes a link to their order details. I think it works through the normal 'Order Update' because that's what the subject line of the email says. Customers with accounts can log-in and see the shipping details of their order.

Plugin Contributions

Alright, I got most of that done this weekend. I'm going to be a bit slower over the week, but here's what I've decided to put on the list for this mod.

Conditionally editing account references out of follow-up e-mails.
    Giving the page a more integrated look with the rest of checkout, including alternate page header('Step 1 of 5', 'Step 2 of 5' etc.) definitions.
    As an optional add-on, a modified tableless order steps mod that will also conditionally display 4 or 5 steps.
    A page to check order status with e-mail address and order number.

Once those are complete, I'd consider this mod done, pending a final search through for account references. After that I'll begin hacking away at an admin control interface.

This mod is going a bit deeper than I intended, but I suppose that's alright because a lot of people seem to want an integrated solution to this problem.

And I'm still open for feedback. (;

Thanks much,
    Joe
    Now J_Schilz

Plugin Contributions

you are the greatest!

Plugin Contributions

Who do you know that wants to click through 5 pages to check out?

3 is bad enough. I am in the process of hacking code to make it 1 page.

I am using craftzombies no password no account mod. It works great.

I just don't feel someone wants more than one page after the shopping cart to to success.

Bill To, Ship To and Shipping method and Payment should and can be all on 1 page.

Quote Originally Posted by KGZotU View Post

Giving the page a more integrated look with the rest of checkout, including alternate page header('Step 1 of 5', 'Step 2 of 5' etc.) definitions.
    As an optional add-on, a modified tableless order steps mod that will also conditionally display 4 or 5 steps.
    A page to check order status with e-mail address and order number.

Joe

Plugin Contributions

Who do you know that wants to click through 5 pages to check out?
    I haven't seen the hard numbers, but I understand that the testing on this is a little counter-intuitive.

From what I understand, the larger reaction to single page checkout is "That's a lot of information to fill out!" Alternatively, a properly designed multi-page checkout benefits from the 'succession of yeses' effect. Rather than being overwhelmed by a whole lot of information to enter, they enter a portion of that information, and by the time they're asked for more information they already feel committed by the effort they put into the first form.

I believe that multiple pages are the superior solution. However, I haven't seen the a/b testing numbers for myself, and there might be audience dependent variance.

That said, throw as many mods onto the pile as possible. Choice is a boon!

I will note that craftzombie's method, by which I was inspired, does not allow for permanent account creation.

Isn't there already a similar mod? I would think that the 'single page checkout' mod would be compatible with craftzombie's. Of note, you still require a 'fill out your info page' and a 'confirm your order' page before your success.

Best of luck,
    Joe

PS: Ron, thanks for the support. (;

Edit: On second thought, no the 'single page checkout' mod won't work as you describe if combined with craftzombie's. But, hey, why not make it an optional mod for my COWOA mod? (; Good luck.
    Last edited by KGZotU; 27 Feb 2007 at 04:43 AM.
    Now J_Schilz

Page 2 of 123 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast