Plugin Contributions

Default Slow page load times when listing products in a sub-category

This is an issue that has been dogging us for some time. In general, the performance of the site is OK, with the initial page loading OK and the category and product pages and EZ pages are loading OK.

We are, however having a performance issue with the part of the sub-category page that lists the products in the sub-category (image, text, price etc.) down the page. The initial part of the page loads OK but stalls when the products are being listed.

- I don't think this is a host issue (we have already talked to our Host -- HostExcellence) because the performance issues only happen on specific pages. The entire site is not slow... only this specific page. We also have another Zen and some Wordpress sites on this host and performance is OK.

- We have (in a few categories) sized the images so that they are not sized by ZenCart (e.g. sized the _MED, _LRG images). Our intent is to do the rest of the site this way. This did not change the times.

- I did run a check on all the tables of the Database and came back with the message "UNIQUE and INDEX keys should not both be set for column 'configuration_key". [Not sure if this is applicable].

- Our parse times for all pages but the problem page are sub 1 second. The times for the sub-category pages are around 12 - 16 seconds (yeeech).

- I have reviewed my configuration files and find nothing suspect there.

- I don't have subcategories and products mixed together in a single category. The product structure is very clean ... category > subcategory > product.

- The same problem happens when I use the default template.

so.... any suggestions as to what next??

The site is at http://shop.annclark.com

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Slow page load times when listing products in a sub-category

Currently you site is dead ...

Might want to contact your hosting site and see if the server is down as neither your shop nor your main domain can load right now ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Sit is OK now and is working....

Plugin Contributions

... I mean you can access the site now.... the speed problem is still.... a problem

Plugin Contributions

I am a ZenCart newbie, just exploring the options and took a look at your site.
    Very nice layout. I also noticed very slow access to some product catagories.
    In some cases, response was 14-20 seconds. I also noticed that you have a very nice but "large" image on your front page (141,827 bytes..eek). I have been picking up all the Host and Database parameters/complaints for comparison. I have what some moderators here call a "Host Problem" and want to make sure I get everything in order if and when I change a domain to another host.

Good Luck !
    [FONT=Georgia]SteveRF[/FONT]

Plugin Contributions

Your site does not have enough on it to ever be slow other than being a server issue ...

What is odd is the places where the slow downs exist ...

For example:
    Parse Time: 16.324 - Number of Queries: 167 - Query Time: 0.089699582733155
    http://shop.annclark.com/index.php?m...dex&cPath=9_16

Yet looking at:
    Parse Time: 0.170 - Number of Queries: 65 - Query Time: 0.043732687728882
    http://shop.annclark.com/index.php?m...=index&cPath=9

Or at:
    Parse Time: 0.444 - Number of Queries: 624 - Query Time: 0.24181246392822
    http://shop.annclark.com/index.php?m...e=products_all

where the last 2 are speedy as heck ...

Just to help rule out the template ... if you switch to Classic template and go to the first URL that I gave, does this alter the speed radically?
    Linda McGrath

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]

Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

An addition to this problem ... hopefully will generate some discussion

I have seen a good amount of postings on this site regarding performance issues.

A lot of them seem to have the answer "check with your host to see if your SQL database is configured correctly".

Good advice but.... is there anywhere in the forum that I can get instructions about exactly what "correctly" means?

I would like to be able to go to my hosts (all all hosts for that matter) and get them clear instructions about how to configure an installation to host a ZenCart store. Someone must know because there are such things as "a ZenCart Qualified Host". It would be great to be able to clearly communicate this information.

In order to get ZenCart as widely used as possible (and it is a great piece of software with a lot of excellent value), how do we get this community to help its adoption by posting clear requirements / instruction about how to configure an installation correctly?

Thoughts??? (and help...)

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post

Just to help rule out the template ... if you switch to Classic template and go to the first URL that I gave, does this alter the speed radically?
    Tried this first off just in case there was a problem with the template. Switched to the default Classic template... Nope... no change in speed.

Thanks for looking at this...

Plugin Contributions

Go to a Product page ...

Test with turning off the Left Column ...

Test with turning off the Right Column ...

Test with turning off the Footer ...

Do any of those make a significant change?
    Linda McGrath

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    Go to a Product page ...

Test with turning off the Left Column ...

Test with turning off the Right Column ...

Test with turning off the Footer ...

Do any of those make a significant change?
    Good news.... I think....

We did get performance improvements (and improved response times) by doing the following:

1) using the MySQL control panel, we had MySQL optimize every table in the database (after a back-up of course)

2) We turned on persistent connections for MySQL

3) We turned on Database caching

I believe that the optimizing did the trick. Pages that were taking 12 seconds to load now take close to 2 seconds.

Just a bit of history.

We developed the site on a development system and then moved the database to its current system. The database was initially loaded on the development system using the Easy Populate and there were multiple loads that took place before the db had all the products we needed in it.

From this lesson, I would strongly suggest that after any initial product load or when products are updated, that the MySQL Optimize command is run. In fact, it probably would be a good idea to run this every once in awhile.

So.... we will see what happens... I'll re-post if anything changes.

... Oh... I still stand by my comment regarding the need to have something to tell a host about correct configuration for MySQL.

Many, many thanks again to the community of Zenners. Just goes to show how valuable open-source and open exchange of ideas can be!!