Plugin Contributions

Default Product category question

Hi,

I've just started using the cart today and i have a (newb) question regarding product categories and sub categories.

I'm trying to set up a store that sells event tickets for sports, theatre and concerts etc.

For example, if I have a category named "Concert Tickets" I would need a few more sub-categories to whittle the choices down such as:

Concert Tickets > Artist > Venue > Ticket_Type

Say, purely for example - Bryan adams plays 2 venues and for each venue there is a standing or seated ticket - I would want to display this for each option but the price would have to change depending on the venue and ticket_type.

So, i suppose, under the category concert tickets - i have to offer 4 different options based on the above if Bryan Adams is selected??

Just wondering what the best way to go about this would be???

I hope i've made myself reasonably clear..!

Thanks,

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Product category question

You have options here.
    You can do it with subcategories as you outlined, or you could have categories for artist and venue, and the product is a ticket which has options for standing or seated at appropriate prices. You would use attributes for this. Search here if you don't already know about them.

Plugin Contributions

Ok, i think i want to do the following:-

Can I have a product image coupled with a drop-down menu with anywhere between, say, 2 - 12 pricing options depending on the individual product?

I am finding the attributes a bit confusing at the moment and would appreciate a couple of step - by step instructions if anyone can help.

Also, can i have a list of product images on the index page in the "main text" area? I'm currently using the classic template design which i'll alter a bit later.

Oh yes, 1 more question - is it possible to turn the the unit amounts (in brackets) of each category off???

I appreciate any help anyone can provide. I'm a bit of a confusd newb.

Plugin Contributions

Hello,

I've managed towork out the product attributes and option names and values. Does anybody know if there is a limit to option values??? I ask this because each product or artist will have a different venue and date combination so i guess i'll just have a whole load of option values as long as i'm permitted to by the software.

Or, can anybody suggest a slightly more efficient way of doing this??

Thanks again.

Plugin Contributions

To turn counts off: admin > Configuration > My Store > Show Category Counts.

It sounds like you are using the artist as the "product" with each venue as an option inside it (?) This could work, but you can't have options that modify other options - if the seated vs. standing tickets are a different ratio or upcharge in different venues, there is not an easy way to handle that except by having an option for City A matinee seated, City A matinee standing, City A evening seated, City A evening standing, City B ....

I think you would do better for organization *and* marketing to have cats of Artist with their venues as the products. Seating options would become simple, and more importantly each city will be listed as a "product" title, to publicize the available locations. If there are multiple dates in each venue, they could be options or separate products (City A March 13th, City A March 14th, City B March 18th...) as you decide works best.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for the advice Glenn. Seems to make sense.

Jon