Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: how to sell high res images allowing download after paying? Gallery2

Another one that is so 'obvious' that it always gets overlooked, is that the integration works by creating a new product type, called Product Type - Gallery Item.
    If an image is set to Product Type - General, it wont display a thumbnail, as it knows nothing about getting the image from the Gallery.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: how to sell high res images allowing download after paying? Gallery2

Bingo bango (I just made that up)... it works. Thanks to your detailed help. I went into the wee hours working to understand the behaviors between G2 and ZC, and it makes total sense now. Of course it has limitations, but just getting this accomplished is a big deal.

Am not working to understand how to tighten up this very thing you mention below... the relationship of the Categories and the Album names. I seem to have a double naming thing going on in ZC, but hey, I am so much farther down the road than I was two days ago. Everything you pointed to was spot on.

Am certain I will have some niggling questions, but will learn deeper and be able to assist others.

One quick question... have you installed and used harslade's approach into this? Am curious as to your opinion if yes.

Can't thnk you enough for your help in this.

regards

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckl View Post
    Another one that is so 'obvious' that it always gets overlooked, is that the integration works by creating a new product type, called Product Type - Gallery Item.
    If an image is set to Product Type - General, it wont display a thumbnail, as it knows nothing about getting the image from the Gallery.

Plugin Contributions

Typically, you need to create a Category into which you intend to place all your Gallery 'imports'. An obvious name would be 'Gallery' or 'Galleries'.
    This must NOT be the top Zen Cart 'root' category.
    You select this in Gallery2 as the Zen Cart folder for gallery items from the dropdown.
    Thereafter, as you create Albums and add Images, they will automagically appear in Zencart. Do the work in Gallery.
    What you are probably doing is creating standard Zen Cart Categories? Let the software do the work.

I haven't had the time to look over Hareslades work with the attention it deserves, and we did correspond some time back with a view to combining or aligning the contributions. I simply haven't had the time to get back to Paul and make it happen.
    Hopefully in the not too distant future.

Rgds,

Plugin Contributions

I have advanced much-ly in the last few days, thanks to your continued responses. Mucho gracias. I have learned a great deal about the behaviors between the applications.

Here's a twist that I thought I would throw out for grins.

Let's say there is a top level domain name like www.abc.com

We need to install ZenCart *above* G2. I got that so far. So, ZC could go into the root directory of this installation i.e. ../public_html/zencart

G2 gets installed in something like

../public_html/zencart/gallery2

I'm making these up of course as one would want to vary the defaults.

Now, G2 has the ability to use permalinks. A nifty way of creating an album and getting right to the the album images i.e. www.abc/zencart/gallery/f/myalbum

However, that is a bit ugly as a URL for say, my mom. And others. It is easier to remember www.abc.com/f/myalbum

So, am pondering how to have the TLD point to gallery2 i.e. www.abc.com, yet use Zencart in the mix. As I've learned, the URLs need to reside ina specific order else they get royally messed up. I've though about doing redirects, but am not sure how to 'carry' the permalink down to Gallery2 that way.

Dunno if this makes sense, but thought to throw this scenario out there as I chew on how to solve it.

Also, I would always give my mum photos and never charge her for them, of course. Was just the first example that came to mind...

regards, and tx for your help on breaking the ice on the prior installation. Makes total sense now...

Typically, you need to create a Category into which you intend to place all your Gallery 'imports'. An obvious name would be 'Gallery' or 'Galleries'.
    You select this in Gallery2 as the Zen Cart folder for gallery items from the dropdown.
    Thereafter, as you create Albums and add Images, they will automagically appear in Zencart. Do the work in Gallery.
    What you are probably doing is creating standard Zen Cart Categories? Let the software do the work.

I haven't had the time to look over Hareslades work with the attention it deserves, and we did correspond some time back with a view to combining or aligning the contributions. I simply haven't had the time to get back to Paul and make it happen.

Rgds,

Plugin Contributions

I suspect you're right that redirects are the easiest way to do it, possibly as a subdomain?

e.g. http://gallery.abc.com redirected to www/abc/zencart/gallery/ etc etc.

If you own the abc.com domain, you simply add a DNS record for the subdomain gallery.abc.com.

I set up Zen Cart in the root of the domain, i.e. Zencart is www.abc.com, and gallery2 as a sub folder, so the gallery becomes www.abc.com/gallery2, but there is no hard and fast rule that it has to be that way.

Plugin Contributions

P.S. www.abc.com is not the domain, it is the www subdomain of abc.com.

Plugin Contributions

Fantastic. I was thinking about this the wrong way. You are spot on correct in these last two responses. Again, thanks to you, I *get* it.....

Will go craft a scenario and see how it behaves, but this layout works....

Am I stacking up 'beers owed' to ya? Or something commensurate?

Plugin Contributions

As an FYI, here's what I did to solve the redirect. I used a domain name like zen.abc.com and then zen.abc.com/gallery2 for the two installations in something like public_html/zen and public_html/zen/gallery2

I then placed an .htaccess file in public_html and used mod_sec to redirect to public_html/zen/gallery2

It works, and it is interesting too as it leaves room for installing an CMS in the root directory as well.

Anyway, just a post to followup on a solution. There may be better ways, but this works.

tx, drhiii

Plugin Contributions

Fyi.... my method ended up not working. Redirect did not pass the variable to the secondary address. Will keep chewing on how to solve this....

Plugin Contributions

Here's a new one....

I realize that as objects are imported into ZenCart from G2, the permissions layer in G2 is lost. Everything becomes exposed once it is in ZenCart. Errr... not good if one is running say, a wedding type site where privacy is paramount... keeping families separate. Just musing....

Rgds,

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast