Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: UPS Residential vs. Commercial rates

Based on my personal knowledge of how UPS prices shipments...I would propose the following:

1. Add item L, W and H fields in the "products" table. This allows the shipping module to "see" not only the weight, but the true size of each item. Then, the module's php script can decide whether to use a calculation for these items "dimensional Weight" or use the standard weight.
    2. Add a small enum to the Product list if the product is "long" or "large" as defined by shippers. This is easy to tag into the rate quotes.
    3. Add a small enum to the Address Book for each address that can be setup by the customer or edited by the Store Manager based on whether or not the address is Residential or Commercial. This value can be validated via UPS web service but I did not see the details on it like I did the rate quote service.

Now I do not have a separate database for "testing" all of this. I am trying to get my store up and running at the moment.

Plugin Contributions

Have a Drink Re: UPS Residential vs. Commercial rates

Amen to this line of thought...

Plugin Contributions

I would be interested in this UPS fix as well. For those of you who do not know, the difference both UPS and FEDEx residential customers have to pay is now $2.80 over the business rate (2013 rates). That is a substantial difference, that possible could run off some business. Unfortunately I do not know coding.

I did the see the fix Ajeh provided by filling in the Company box (http://www.zen-cart.com/showthread.p...ups+commercial), but I agree a with marcopolo: a residential and business checkbox on the shipping address form is probably a better solution, for flagging the address as residential or commercial. Having the function on the customer account form might not be accurate as to the shipping address.

If someone were interested in writing this, I could see if my client would throw $100 in the pot. (Please check with me before taking me up on this, I have to get approval, but it's possible). I am thinking maybe a few will chip in to get someone to write this, and then we can give it back to the zen cart community.

Plugin Contributions

Just thinking. According to Ajeh's post adding coding to 1 area (the UPS module) would change this from Residental to Commercial if someone filled out the Company Field. With this same logic wouldn't it be just a tad more work to make a checkbox (business/residence) on the shipping form as the flag?

Now I already stated I do not know coding, but something like this on the _upsRescom page. Coders please do not wish me harm for writing what I do not know :
    Code:
    function _upsRescom($foo) {
        global $order;
    /*
        switch ($foo) {
          case 'RES': // Residential Address
            $this->_upsResComCode = '1';
            break;
          case 'COM': // Commercial Address
            $this->_upsResComCode = '0';
            break;
        }
    */

//echo 'UPS company: ' . ($order->delivery['Business'] == '' ? 'No check' : 'Check') . ' len:' . strlen($order->delivery['Business']) . '<br>';
        if ($order->delivery['Business'] == '') {
        } else {
        }
    //echo 'UPS residence: ' . ($order->delivery['Residence'] == '' ? 'No check' : 'Check') . ' len:' . strlen($order->delivery['Residence']) . '<br>';
        if ($order->delivery['Residence'] == '') {
        } else {
        }

}
    Then on the shipping address php page, for put coding for a business/residence checkbox. This checkbox coding would also obviously be plugged into the coding above to work together. I would only think this would be 2 file modifications.

Plugin Contributions

I do have a BETA build for a module supporting dimensional product shipping, drop shipping, package based dimensional shipping (can specify x of this product fit), adding package weight to a shipment, logging request / responses from the carrier, and a number of other features. There is a basic UPS module (example) which comes with this module which you can tweak to fit your needs (such as residential vs commercial). Currently the example does not return "negotiated rates" and does not attempt to "autofit" products to flat rate UPS shipping boxes.

Currently I have a separate module used for freight accessorials, which is not part of the BETA, which allows customers to select additional accessorials for each shipping location / address (such as commercial / residential, lift gate, etc). If the accessorial module is present, the BETA dimensional shipping module will read the commercial / residential status and use the customer's supplied option for UPS shipping.

For those interested, I am looking for people willing to BETA test this module. I am also looking for people to update / write additional shipping modules based upon the module. Send me a PM if interested.
    Last edited by lhungil; 8 Mar 2013 at 06:51 PM.
    The glass is not half full. The glass is not half empty. The glass is simply too big!
    Where are the Zen Cart Debug Logs? Where are the HTTP 500 / Server Error Logs?
    Zen Cart related projects maintained by lhûngîl : Plugin / Module Tracker

Plugin Contributions

lhungil,

I am confused so seeking clarification: On the second part of your statement:
    Currently I have a separate module used for freight accessorials, which is not part of the BETA, which allows customers to select additional accessorials for each shipping location / address (such as commercial / residential, lift gate, etc). If the accessorial module is present, the BETA dimensional shipping module will read the commercial / residential status and use the customer's supplied option for UPS shipping.
    You are saying I would have the ability to add a residential and business checkbox and force them to select for the shipping address? Would this same module calculate the COM and RES rate differences according to the said checked boxes (residential/business)? It looks like you are saying I would have to have both beta modules installed plus coding tweak to get the functionality I am seeking.

As far as beta-testing for me, the store I am working on is busy and has several sales per day. So I would be afraid to lose customers while I beta test. And I would really like to test!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by sports guy View Post
    lhungil,

I am confused so seeking clarification: On the second part of your statement:

You are saying I would have the ability to add a residential and business checkbox and force them to select for the shipping address? Would this same module calculate the COM and RES rate differences according to the said checked boxes (residential/business)? It looks like you are saying I would have to have both beta modules installed plus coding tweak to get the functionality I am seeking.

As far as beta-testing for me, the store I am working on is busy and has several sales per day. So I would be afraid to lose customers while I beta test. And I would really like to test!
    Sorry for the confusion, was typing out that message on only a couple hours of sleep. And completely agree this is something to deploy to a test or staging area before deploying to a live site! I've finished creating a distribution zip for the dimensional / dropship / product packaging solution... But will need a little time to create the distribution zip for either of the below options (before this thread have not seen a large demand, so have not bothered to take the time to put together a BETA package).

If you wanted to save the answer in the database: You would need one BETA module for handling the residential / commercial (I used a yes / no dropdown, it could be changed). Adding a "residential / commercial" capture when the address is entered does require modifications to a large number of templates and some pages. With this in pace a couple lines of code in the UPS shipping module are needed to check what the customer chose. The dimensional / dropship / custom package module is separate and not needed for the residential / commercial dropdown (but has an example w/ the needed lines of code for the shipping module).

Attachment 12111

I ended up going this route for a number of reasons, and it seems to work well on one the one test / production store All of the text (other then the yes / no) are stored in language files and can be changed to suit your store's needs (or to remove some options). As you can probably tell it was originally added to handle additional information required for offering freight shipping. I have both BETA modules running on one test and one production Zen Cart site (so far have not seen any major issues, but hesitant to say these two modules are ready for mass consumption).

If the goal is just to ask on the checkout_shipping page (not saved with the address): You could do this specifically on the checkout_shipping page... You would probably want to show the option on the checkout_payment and checkout_confirmation as well. This does require some changes to templates and also an observer to add the chosen option to the order comments field (if you want to save the choice with the order for reference). Let me look through some of my old code as I have a "shipping quote" module which includes most of this functionality (and the relevant portions can be copied for UPS) - it may be a simpler method if you only want to ask during checkout_shipping and not actually store the value in the database.

Other thoughts: Maybe one of these days I will get some time to look more into the UPS Address Verification API and see if it would let us check if an address is residential / commercial without asking a customer. If anyone knows the answer to this question, please let us know!
    Last edited by lhungil; 10 Mar 2013 at 12:03 AM.
    The glass is not half full. The glass is not half empty. The glass is simply too big!

Plugin Contributions

OK, the client is not willing to pay for this solution, so the $100 is out the window (I am sorry). I really thought he would do this, but according to him, most use USPS and very few orders per year are large enough for UPS. He wants me to charge residential ($2.80 more regardless).

The client does still want me to add a residential or commercial option on the signup or shipping address form, so he knows whether or not to tell UPS correctly, when he walks into the shipping store to send it. I need this to show up on the order, so when the order notification gets sent this information is on there along with the rest of the order.

With that being said, I personally am interested in having this in the future so if anyone needs help perhaps I can assist. Since UPS does charge $2.80 for residential delivery, it only makes sense that the UPS shipping module can calculate this properly.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by sports guy View Post
    OK, the client is not willing to pay for this solution, so the $100 is out the window (I am sorry). I really thought he would do this, but according to him, most use USPS and very few orders per year are large enough for UPS. He wants me to charge residential ($2.80 more regardless).
    Not sure where the $100 comes from, but I can understand the client's sentiment.

The dimensional / drop shipment / product packaging module will be released on here under GPL. I have it working on a couple test sites and on one production site. It retrieves a quote from UPS using dimensional shipping and is working well for all the tested products / orders including "oversize" products so far... When it encounters a product which cannot be shipped due to weight / size / other UPS factors the UPS shipping option is not presented. The downside is all of the dimensions need to be determined and entered into the Zen Cart admin interface.

As for the residential / commercial check... It sounds like option #2 would work for your client. Would adding "residential delivery" in the order comments suffice for you client? Or would they want something more complicated such as storing the data with the order and displaying it on the top of the invoice along with the shipping address?

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by lhungil View Post
    As for the residential / commercial check... It sounds like option #2 would work for your client. Would adding "residential delivery" in the order comments suffice for you client? Or would they want something more complicated such as storing the data with the order and displaying it on the top of the invoice along with the shipping address?
    Since the client only wants the customer to list whether its business or residential during signup (without regard to the actual UPS charge), I ended up adding the Extra Fields for Customer Signup Addon. I also found out I needed a few additional fields while I was at it. I was able to add a residential or delivery option to the form via this plugin, and am now working on having this data added to the order confirmation e-mail and invoice.

So it seems my problem for this site has been solved (at least as far as the client wants to take it). As you can see UPS does not charge the proper amount according to residential or business, but the client does not seem to care since he does not charge a handling fee or supplies fee. I do appreciate your help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast