Thread: Help Needed

Plugin Contributions

Default Help Needed

Hi,

I recently started using Zen Cart 1.3.7 and purchased Easy Populate 3.0.3 [the $65 version] soon afterwards.

I am a complete newbie and would like to set up a record/CD/Vinyl store. It is very important that I set it so that the data can be uploaded via a tab delimited text file saved from Excel [the reason for purchasing Easy Populate].

I don't think the fields I want in the database are too abnormal and there are only about 12 anyway.

Nicholas [the easy populate author] has been in touch with me a couple of times but is obviously very busy at the moment.

So, the question is - is there anyone in these forums who sees themselves as an expert and can give me a hand to set up this site - specifically, the Easy Populate side of things?

I am willing to pay if prices are realistic. I really would like to get this site up and moving as soon as possible.

Thanks if anyone can help.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Help Needed

FreshP

You can't determine the fields in the database - these are preset by the installation of zencart.

What easypopulate does is provide a simple mechanism to UPLOAD data, using whats known as a TAB-DELIMITED TEXT FILE, into the EXISTING fields in the database.

Now...

If you installed Zen WITH the demo products (always advisable for NEW zenners) then you can do an EXPORT of this data FROM zencart TO your hard drive.

This will be a TAB-DELIMITED TEXT FILE of the existing product range in your database, and, as you can see, you can "ask" easypopulate to dump all of it, or parts of it.

You then have to IMPORT this TXT file into EXCEL, or other spreadsheet. It's NOT advisable to just try to OPEN the TXT file in excel - rather open a blank sheet in excel, then use DATA>GET EXTERNAL DATA>IMPORT TEXT FILE.

Then, you are asked by excel to "describe" the nature of the import. I'm afraid I can't give you a lesson on this aspect!

The point is to get this into the spreadsheet so you can see the STRUCTURE of the tables and fields that zencart "allows" easypopulate to write data into.

Your top row of the spreadsheet will list the FIELD NAMES. Now, look at the products in the actual webstore - see how they are being described and presented on-screen ; ; ; and do this in TANDEM with looking at the spreadsheet. You will soon learn the relationship between the data fields in the SHOP, to the data fields on the SPREADSHEET.

The HEADER row in the spreadsheet is the critical part of easypopulate, becuase when you construct your OWN data spreadsheet, you will do so using these header names.

The Professional Version of EP is quite different from the Standard version and, to be honest, I am not familiar with the intricate details of it, but I intend to buy it myself soon.

I have heard, however, that you need to CREATE your categories>sub-categories in the zenstore FIRST, and that it's very important to CONFIGURE EasyPop in ADMIN>CONFIGURATION before you upload a file.

The way you describe and delimit the data in your spreadsheet must follow the settings you've configured in Admin of EP.

Now...

When you've got an excel spreadsheet containing all the data, prices, category paths and other features, and you are sure everything is correct, you have to SAVE AS a tab-delimited TXT file. EasyPop can't use XLS, or CSV, or COMMA-DELIMITED TXT - it must be a tab-delimited txt file.

MSExcel will present you with a confusing array of Yes/No choices when you select to save as TXT, but it is VITAL that the file you end up with is TAB-DELIMITED TXT.

You can always use a GOOD Text Editor such as CRIMSON EDITOR to see if it's been saved correctly.

Then, when you're sure all is ok, this is the file you populate the dbase with.

If it's a BIG file, FTP it to the appropriate temp folder suggested by EP and do the populate off the server.

Otherwise, EP off your hard drive (use the "browse" / file upload feature).

My advice would be to TEST an upload with about 10 or 20 products first.

EP is a God-send for data upload and client-side data management... You've done the right thing by buying the pro version.
    20 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Help Needed

Thank you very much for your lengthy explanation Schoolboy.

I am finally starting to make a move forward as a result of your help.

Much appreciated. :)