Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: USPS new rates May

Quote Originally Posted by tomarriola View Post
    Linda, do you think --in progress-- updated usps module will be backwards compatible with previous zen carts, such as the popular 1.2.6 ?

Tom
    Yes, it should be backwards-compatible to v1.2.0.

(BTW, if you're staying with v1.2.x for a reason, you should at least upgrade to v1.2.7 to benefit from security fixes)

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

signs:

Great idea. Took it to heart and have my table rates ready to go if needed.

Ron
    www.aspenshopsonline.com - ZenCart 1.3.9h
    www.wilkssupply.com - ZenCart 1.3.9h
    www.un-du.net - ZenCart 1.3.8a

Plugin Contributions

You should ALWAYS have a backup method ready since Rate Servers have been known to go down. :)
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Wait wait wait.

Don't change them yet. I'm not ready.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by ronlee67 View Post
    signs:

Ron
    Since I posted that, and implemented it, I've not had any more issues. I would still rather charge actual shipping because it's unfair to those located in my zone (florida) to have to pay the same shipping as someone in California would have to pay, but for now it's a CYA matter and it's been working out just fine.

I still offer UPS as an option but have the shipping padded because I really hate to go to the UPS store here and if they want it, they're going to pay for the inconvenience.

Plugin Contributions

From what I'm reading about the changes (on the oscommerce board, oscmax, and other carts where the shipping mod is already fixed), if you use usps for domestic mail only there "should" be no changes-- but if you use international rates, there will be problems.
    Tom

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by tomarriola View Post
    "should" be no changes
    That would be nice, but its not true. There will be 3 types of first class mail. And each type will be priced differently. "The new pricing system is based on the shape of mail, not just the weight."

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by stagebrace View Post
    That would be nice, but its not true. There will be 3 types of first class mail. And each type will be priced differently. "The new pricing system is based on the shape of mail, not just the weight."
    Thanks for setting me straight. Now I'm all the more concerned about the Monday changes.

:)
    Tom

Plugin Contributions

Any new news on this yet? I ship to a great many international customers, all packages sent USPS with Airmail Letter or Priority... plus quite a few USA shipments using First Class Mail.

Any news on an update for the built-in USPS shipping module...?

I notice that Endicia has only just now (within the last week or so) released their update for their program, and OUCH those extra fields for package size definitely put a drag on shipping speed here. :-/

[edited to add:]

Just a thought... but I already track or book internally the dimensions of each product we sell. Something that added dimensions to the product database might be useful? eg. if a customer adds just one item to their cart, then the cart would know to go with xxx size envelop/box, etc. but if the customer added 100, then the cart could calculate what size of envelop or box should be used. Of course, I have no idea on how to implement this, but would sure like to see something like that available at some time.
    Last edited by yodamo; 12 May 2007 at 11:19 PM. Reason: adding additional comment/suggestion

Plugin Contributions

The new pricing system is based on the shape of mail, not just the weight.
    Unless you do a lot of envelope mailings this isn't going to affect most of you.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast