Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can't Change Configure.php After Install

These issues highlight the need to research hosting companies in advance of installing Zen Cart.

I would advise all prospective zenners (people who are keen to use the software but haven't yet done so), to appreciate what optimal server set-up is desirable, for Zen Cart to work efficiently.

Then... find a host that understands Zen Cart. This part is easy... follow the "hosting" link at the top of this page.
    19 years a Zencart User

Plugin Contributions

WS FTP is the most widely used and, in my opinion, most reliable FTP client.

Nedward? Your problems are only going to get worse. Whatever you do don't pay for their shared ssl - it won't work with dynamic php based shopping carts. If they tell you otherwise - ask them for the name of a site that it works on.

If your site is on an Apache based server and you can't change permissions any other way then do this:

1. Create a new text document and rename it to chmod.php (ignore the warning about changing the file type).

2. Put this code in it:

<?php
    chmod ("includes/configure.php", 0444);
    ?>

3. Upload it to the root of your website and go to it in your browser e.g. http://www.yourdomain.com/chmod.php - you won't see anything but the file permission should have changed.

4. Don't leave the chmod.php file on the server after use.

Vger

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Vger View Post
    WS FTP is the most widely used and, in my opinion, most reliable FTP client.

Nedward? Your problems are only going to get worse. Whatever you do don't pay for their shared ssl - it won't work with dynamic php based shopping carts. If they tell you otherwise - ask them for the name of a site that it works on.

If your site is on an Apache based server and you can't change permissions any other way then do this:

1. Create a new text document and rename it to chmod.php (ignore the warning about changing the file type).

2. Put this code in it:

<?php
    chmod ("includes/configure.php", 0444);
    ?>

3. Upload it to the root of your website and go to it in your browser e.g. http://www.yourdomain.com/chmod.php - you won't see anything but the file permission should have changed.

4. Don't leave the chmod.php file on the server after use.

Vger
    Thanks Vger and Schoolboy, I hear what you say. I wish I knew what I know now, 3 weeks ago. My chmod probs are sorted now that I'm on a linux hosted server. I can chmod to my hearts desire.
    I never realised that hosts would do things differently. I naively thought they would all follow the same sort of guidelines. But you should have seen the fun I had with brinkster with a simple non dynamic site. another story.
    Anyway I'm taking your advice and will stay away from ssl with fasthost and will research a new host when the time is right.
    Anyway again, I'm loving Zen Cart and my shop is generating sales, which is nice. thanks for tips.

Steven

Plugin Contributions

Thank you so much Nedward. That helps me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12