Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Limiting Categories displayed

Quote Originally Posted by kobra View Post
    I just adjusted this on a stock Zen Cart install to 5 and it limited the display to 5.
    I would suggest that you look at what you might have changed to not allow this function to work.
    Any ideas what files would control this? I have made adjustments to so many different files I wouldn't know where to begin to trackback.

Sorry I misunderstood you on points 2 and 3. I cleared my cache and you are right, the home was was slow to load.
    Kind Regards,
    Andrew

$15 USD A Month Donor To Zen - Please Join The Other Donors

Plugin Contributions

If you are using the override system you can try first changing to the classic template. If you overlooked doing this and have not kept a log of your edits - You will have to determine the install date and most of the files will have this date.

Then make a list of the changed files (later date)...

It appears that you installed the column-grid module and you can begin there especially of you edited these files
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Kobra, will do.
    Kind Regards,
    Andrew

Plugin Contributions

If you are using the override system you can try first changing to the classic template. If you overlooked doing this and have not kept a log of your edits - You will have to determine the install date and most of the files will have this date.

It appears that you installed the column-grid module and you can begin there especially of you edited these files
    I have been working back through this trying to find the cause, and couldn't, so I ran a fresh install of ZenCart without any customisations except for installing the columns module, and linked it to the old database. The same problem is there. In fact, when you try to change the formatting back to 'rows', it still stays as columns, even though when I check the sql database, it shows ROWS, but is not making the change.

The fact that the cart is a fresh install and the database is still the old one, makes me think the problem lies with the database. I have a test cart with test store front (version 1.3.7) installed and tested this mod, and it worked fine.

Any ideas?
    Kind Regards,
    Andrew

Plugin Contributions

First do a complete DB backup in the event this really breaks things.

On your demo install, export the configuration & any tables that are for the column-grid mod to a file.

Select the old DB and import this small backup & see if this corrects the issue.

Make sure using phpmyadmin to check these options:
    add drop table, add if not exists, Complete inserts, Extended inserts.
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Kobra. Tried that, and it didn't work either. What I have ended up doing is starting the cart from scratch and testing different things one by one to see where the problem kicked in. I found out that:

- While it changes the categories to columns, it doesn't limit the number of categories showing

- it only limits the number of actual products showing when you are in product display.

Code:
    Originally Posted by kobra  

Admin > config > maximum values > Products Listing- Number Per Page > set to a value like "10"
    Is my problem occuring because I am trying to limit categories rather than products with the column layout grid mod?
    Kind Regards,
    Andrew

Plugin Contributions

just as an additional note to that, i do realsie that option was to list products, but the only other option i cans ee for limiting categories is

Admin > config > maximum values > Maximum Categories Products Display List which is limited to 5 and not limiting what I view.
    Kind Regards,
    Andrew

Plugin Contributions

To limit the product listings:
    After all this - even your home page loads slow - I would suspect that you are on an overloaded server and you may be able to request being relocated to another less loaded server or look at alternative hosting.
    I just thought I would make mention (in case anyone else has the same problem) that the reason the site was actually loading so slowly was due to the dhtml menu I was using. I got rid of that and have put a css/js menu system in now and the pages load fine. Not sure why the dhtml menu was causing that problem, but there you go....
    Kind Regards,
    Andrew

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12