Thread: CD Catalog

Plugin Contributions

Default CD Catalog

I've searched throughout and have not been able to find a thread that applies, but if I'm wrong I apologize. I am certain it can be done, and probably easily. I wish to make a catalog on CD just like my online version so it can be viewed offline, perhaps even generate an invoice for check/money orders and even go online if they insist on paying via cc through Google Checkout. I have seen references to offline cart construction via a backup option in Admin, but I can find no such option in my Admin. Im am using version 1.3.7

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: CD Catalog

No - there is no such animal because the program is dynamically generating the pages and the information you would have to have php and Mysql running on the computer you wanted to use the CD on ... and if you're going to use Google checkout you have to have internet access so you might as well look at the website to start with.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Default CD Catalog

I felt sure that there was an ability to design Zen Cart offline. Is this not true? I also saw mention of a PDF catalog derived from Zen Cart data. Is this a possibility for a CD catalog?

Plugin Contributions

you can put links and html pages on a cd and call it a catalog,
    but to order they will have to go to the website or call you on the phone
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

I felt sure that there was an ability to design Zen Cart offline
    There is, with a caveat - You must have PHP and MYSQL running and to do that you have to have a webserver set up.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

True that your Zen Cart store cannot be distributed on CD.

However, I have a client with the same exact needs. The only way to distribute the catalog on a CD is to write the whole thing in HTML.

The client also wanted to display his website on a laptop during conventions, home shows, etc. where there is no internet connection. I had to install Apache, PHP, MySQL on his laptop and Zen Cart runs just fine!

Plugin Contributions

Default CD Catalog

I certainly appreciate the feedback from everyone. It will give me some thoughts as to what direction to realistically take. If anyone has additional input, I hope they will post them. Perhaps there are few that have considered this course. A CD catalog is certainly cheaper and even more well defined when it comes to pictures and descriptions, than a printed catalog. I certainly understand that a person would have to send in an order via mail with a check or money order, or go online at some point to enter an order with a credit card, but some of my customers would appreciate being able to look at items offline at their convenience before getting online to purchase. Thanks again.