Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Is Zen Cart the answer for this site?

Hello everyone, my name is James (or Little Jim) and I joined the forum today.

I was directed to the Zen Cart after I was asking some questions on SitePoint. It looks like it could be what I'm after.

I have a site my cousin wants me to update and look after. The current site is here: http://www.whirling-world.com/

It is currently using OSCommerce (an old version of it) and my cousin wants me to update the site a bit. Nothing visually massive, just tidy it up and get the back end of stuff sorted etc. I was looking into just using the latest version of OSCommerce, but then I come across Zen Cart.

He just wants a basic front end (like it is now) but he wants me to look after uploading products etc. Also he wants WorldPay as a payment option. I need an ecommerce solution that is well made, with a good back end for uploading products and stuff. Not just for me to use (who is pretty well versed in computers), but maybe my cousin too (who aint too hot on computers in general).

I was going to use OSCommerce, but I want something a little more professional, with a nice community, that's still free, with good support etc. Surely, Zen Cart would be excellent for this? Though my cousin doesn't want much for a front end as yet, later down the line he may do - is it easy to make Zen Cart look better? (is it easier than OSCommerce?)

I may be looking into using Zen Cart for setting up online shops for people. Whats the licensing of all this? Is Zen Cart truely free for all?

Also, is the new Zen Cart book any good? Is it worth a read? Have any of you read it and is it worth the money?

So sorry for all the questions!! I'm just very interested in using Zen Cart and wanted some solid information so I can make a decision!

Little Jim

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Is Zen Cart the answer for this site?

Hi Jim,

welcome to ZC Forums,

let me start with the book, yes I have a copy of it sitting on my desk, and it rocks

as for easier, Yes its easier, and the nice thing about ZC is its templateed so you can flip a switch in admin,

I would suggest you download a copy and play with it
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

I just want to second what Merlin said.

You'll find that ZC has a definite learning curve, so expect to feel a bit lost at first. If you're familiar with osC, the learning curve might not be as steep for you. I think both you and your cousin will be pleased.

Yes, ZC is free, so just download a copy and join us.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

And I'll third it. There's a great community here to help you get going.

Definitely start by downloading and playing with Zen Cart. (It's easy to get it going on a local server of some sort. I use MAMP on my iMac; there's a Windows equivalent of course.) And then, while you're fiddling with it, order the book. It's worth it. I wish I'd had it when I got started a few months ago!

Rob

Plugin Contributions

I fourth that! And you can see the majority of the contributed templates here:

http://(sorry, site offline)/

Or build your own (using the overrides system) to closing match what he has already.

[FONT=Arial]Country Kitty Crafts[/FONT][FONT=Arial]
    [/FONT] [FONT=Garamond]
    [/FONT]

Plugin Contributions

Wow, cheers the fast info! Even from you lot have wrote, I get a sense you love this Zen Cart! Hmmm... I'm definitely warming to the whole Zen of things

I have a iMac too, and I use MAMP to get a local development enviroment. So Zen Cart is easy to set up on that? Excellent.

Looks like templating the cart is pretty easy too. Excellent also.

Zen Cart is written in PHP and MySQL and my reseller hosting supports that. Excellent again!

The other major thing that I would really like to know is if Zen Cart works well with WorldPay? This is the payment option my cousin is using, so I'm wondering this. Does anyone have experience setting up Zen Cart to work with WorldPay?

Thanks again for all your comments so far. I can really see that this is a great product and it also has a great community too!

Plugin Contributions

Welcome Lil Jim,

I too would highly recommend ZenCart to you, especially as an alternative to oSc. The only downside to this system is that it does not have as great of a user base as oSc. The support you will find here is spectacular, however ZC lacks the amount of mods that have been created for oSc (3500+ for oSc last time I checked, compared to only a few hundred for ZC)

As for your World Pay question, YES, ZC does support this payment form. You will find the World Pay module available for download at http://www.zen-cart.com/index.php?ma...a&page=2 along along with many other modules. Hope that helps!

Plugin Contributions

... what you don't realize is that 100's of mods are totally unnecessary because Zen Cart has the features built into the core already. Just compare the 'out-of-the-box' features of the other shopping cart to Zen.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    ... what you don't realize is that 100's of mods are totally unnecessary because Zen Cart has the features built into the core already. Just compare the 'out-of-the-box' features of the other shopping cart to Zen.
    That's one of the reasons I selected ZC over osC. Things I needed for my client were already built in and the override system was easier to work with (after the learning curve of course! )
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

It really does look like Zen Cart could be the one for me. I'm not too bothered about mods etc. The kind of things I have planned for Zen Cart are pretty standard really. The main features I need are a product catalogue (with image uploading), a shopping cart and a nice slick way of paying (either by PayPal or WorldPay).

To confirm also, do you lot recommend the book too?

I learnt everything about web development/design out of books, I find them a really good way of learning stuff. Is the Zen Cart book a good read, and do you think it will help me with all aspects of it? It's not just some quickly bashed together manual with copy and pasted bits of text that you could just find off the net is it? (I ask this because I've read books for open-souce/free software before and it wasn't pretty)

Thanks again for your comments. It's a real help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast