Plugin Contributions

Default Which SSL do you use?

I usually use the free SSl certificate that every web host reseller has access too. You can them from Instantssl.com. Or I would use the shared certificate that the web host provides for a fee. I've paid anywhere from $30 to $60 for an annual shared cert.

However that SSL certificate isn't compatible with the new High Assurance certificates.

So I was wondering how many of you have spent the big bucks for the green bar.?

For those of you that don't know what I'm talking about, the new High Assurance certificates are to let your customers know that you are actually the business or person that you say you are. The certification involves forms and a phone call to identify you as the person that applied for the certificate and that you are associated with the business that is applying for the new High Assurance certificates.

To be honest, I'm still in the research phase of this, and haven't decided if it's truely worth it to pay hundreds of dollars to have that green bar. I've actually had customers call me with questions. I think it's more to see if I really know the differance between a hummingbird feeder and a squirrel feeder, but I think that It's a measure of assurance that I actually answer the phone.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Which SSL do you use?

Well,

After several hours of research I've figured out that since I'm using google checkout and paypal as my payment gateways I only need the free ssl because they client never sees the secure area of my site.

Just saved myself hundreds of dollars.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Which SSL do you use?

Hey John

I have a client that uses paypal, but insisted on a Verisign SSL at £1500 !!!

I was tempted to pocket the cash and just display the Verisign logo!

... but I'm not that kinda chap !
    20 years a Zencart User