Plugin Contributions

help question Need help configuring phpBB

Hello all, I have installed phpBB etc but cannot seem to get the integration with ZC to work.

I have read the configure phpBB thread above and it instructs you to define the path to the forum in the file configure.php - when i do this and save it it comes up saying an error or timeout has occurred when processing this directive. and hence the changes i make to configure.php are never saved, meaning my forum is never configured.

any ideas what is going wrong please? I am using cPanel X and Zen Cart v 1.3.7

thank you all kindly

Dan
    "The Air Force pinned a medal on me for killing a man and discharged me for making love to one." - Leonard Matlovich

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Need help configuring phpBB

Are you trying to edit this configure.php file from within cPanel?

Do you have a FTP client? Use this to download the file and a plain text editor like notepad to edit the file - save and FTP back to your site
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

thanks for the reply Kobra.

I tried what you said and seem to have created for myself a bigger problem than the original!

I downloaded the file through my FTP client (dreamweaver 8), edited it accordingly but when I tried to upload it, it came up saying permission denied, or something to that effect.

Not taking the hint I then uploaded the edited file in File Manager of cPanel and now on my main page it says:

Warning: I am able to write to the configuration file: /home/vstore/public_html/includes/configure.php. This is a potential security risk - please set the right user permissions on this file (read-only, CHMOD 644 or 444 are typical). You may need to use your webhost control panel/file-manager to change the permissions effectively. Contact your webhost for assistance.

So I went back to cPanel and changed the user permission but it doesnt seem to work, i change it, it reports the change is successful but then when select the file and view the permission they have reverted to 666

I'm completely baffled, is it that my configure.php file is somehow corrupted or something wrong with my cPanel account?

thank you!
    "The Air Force pinned a medal on me for killing a man and discharged me for making love to one." - Leonard Matlovich

Plugin Contributions

ok i got the file permissions changed, the forum link still isnt turing up in my info box though... must be something wrong with one of the files used to integrate phpbb. i'll take a look and post again if i need any more help. thanks again

Plugin Contributions

You might post the 2 or so lines from the configure.php file for the phpbb stuff. And outline the folder structure for the cart files and the forum files - just where the top level of each is -

i.e. ZC file under web root or public_html or in a folder named "store" or other??

Where the phpbb folder is - under public_html or ??

Also check in the admin > config > my store > Enable phpBB linkage? > set to true
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

ok, phpBB linkage is definitely enabled in Admin>my store.

here is the code from the configure.php file I have

Code:
      define('DIR_WS_PHPBB', '/home/vstore/public_html/vforum/');

// * DIR_FS_* = Filesystem directories (local/physical)
      //the following path is a COMPLETE path to your Zen Cart files. eg: /var/www/vhost/accountname/public_html/store/
      define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', '/home/vstore/public_html/');
    I've also tried just using '/vforum/' too and that doesn't work either.

My store is in the root public_html and my phpBB is in a subdirectory of that called 'vforum'

Thank you!!!

Plugin Contributions

Try this:
    Code:
      define('DIR_WS_PHPBB', 'vforum/');
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

hmm, no this didn't work either, i also tried

Code:
    define('DIR_WS_PHPBB', 'home/vstore/public_html/vforum/');
    which didn't work either... could it be something wrong with one of the files used to define the name and/or path to phpBB??

thanks

Plugin Contributions

I got it to work now. For the record:

I changed configure.php content from:

define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', '/');

to:
    define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', '/usr/home/ug17p1/htdocs/shop/');

I also noticed I was having trouble uploading the newly adjusted configure.php file since the original version on the server was CHMODed "444" (for security reasons). So I first had to change the CHMOD for the server version to "744", THEN I uploaded the modified version, and there was no problem at all. (Make sure to change it back to 444 after uploading).

Now the Information box on my front page magically has a "forum" link in it. Pluse the new user registration page in ZC has an additional field for entering a "Forum Nick Name" to be used in the forum.

Plugin Contributions

I hate to change what works but the following is the normal notation:
    Code:
    define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', '/');

to:
    define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', '/shop/');
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten