Plugin Contributions

Default MySQL Issue on Install

I am attempting to install Zen Cart on a Ubuntu 6.06 system. Each time when I get to the system inspection step I get the error message "MySQL Support = OFF"

Specifically, the results of the inspection are:

• Webserver = Apache/2.0.55 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.1.2 mod_ssl/2.0.55 OpenSSL/0.9.8a
    • HTTP Host = www.some-host.com
    • Path_Translated = /var/www/some-host/store/zc_install/index.php(SCRIPT_FILENAME)
    • Server Free Disk Space = 194.5 GB
    • PHP O/S = Linux
    • PHP API Mode = apache2handler
    • PHP Max Execution Time per page = 30
    • Register Globals = OFF
    • MySQL Support = OFF Click here for more info
    • PHP Version = 5.1.2
    • PHP Safe Mode = OFF
    • PHP Sessions Support = ON
    • PHP Session.AutoStart = OFF
    • PHP session.use_trans_sid = OFF
    • Suggested SQL Cache Folder = /var/www/krystales/store/cache
    • PHP magic_quotes_runtime setting = OFF
    • PHP GD Support = ON
    • GD Version = GD 2.0 or higher
    • PHP ZLIB Compression Support = ON
    • PHP OpenSSL Support = ON
    • PHP cURL Support = ON
    • PHP Upload Support = ON upload_max_filesize=2M; post_max_size=8M
    • PHP Upload TMP dir =
    I have MySQL 5.0.22 installed - but backed off to version 4.1 which made no change in the symptoms.

I have the php-mysql and the php-mysqli packages installed

My php.ini file DOES include the extension=mysql.so statement (all of them - on my system there are three php.ini statements in the following directories (pardon me if this is a dumb statement - I am an MVS re-tread just trying to help out a friend)

/etc/php5/apache2/php.ini
    /etc/php5/cgi/php.ini
    /etc/php5/cli/php.ini

Looking at some of the documentation it appeared that setting the PHPRC environmental variable (which was NULL) might have been of some use - but alas, no.

The MySQL server is up and running - one user (root) defined - I have tried it with a passwrd set for the root MySQL user, and with the password set to NULL - no help.

MySQLNavigator connects to the MySQL server without errors so it would appear that other applications can find the server and connect.

The PHP, MySQL, and Apache packages are all the standard packages for Ubuntu 6.06

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Chris

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: MySQL Issue on Install

This is really a forum for Zen Cart and not for LAMP installs...but try this to verify that the mysql is accessible by executing this command as SU:

shell> mysql -u root test

The server should let you connect without error.

If you can not connect you need to sus this out before you can perform a successful install of Zen Cart
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by chris_h View Post
    MySQL Support = OFF
    This occurs when PHP checks to see whether the "mysql_connect()" function exists. If PHP doesn't know about it, it will say MySQL support is off.

Do you have the PHP connector for MySQL installed and properly configured ?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Kobra -

I am not doing a LAMP install - apache has been up and running for a long time on this system. As stated in the frst line of of my request for help I am trying to get Zen Cart working.

(not to say that I don't have a problem with PHP or MySQL)

I can connect using "mysql -u root test -p"

Thanks

Plugin Contributions

"Do you have the PHP connector for MySQL installed and properly configured ?"

I think that i do but to be honest I am not sure - is therre a way that I can verify this?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by chris_h View Post
    "Do you have the PHP connector for MySQL installed and properly configured ?"

I think that i do but to be honest I am not sure - is therre a way that I can verify this?
    One surefire way ... is when it works

Honestly, I don't know enough about ubuntu to be much help. I would have expected that the packages for your current version would have had cooperative settings to make it work by default.
    Basically you need your PHP to have the mysql functions available, and that usually comes by default with typical PHP installations. If your PHP is an older version or was compiled in a lean mode which leaves out certain functions, perhaps the mysql part was skipped.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post
    One surefire way ... is when it works .
    Great observation for thi stime of the morning - I have the php5-mysqli package installed - the description of which states:

"MySQL Improved module for php5

This package provides a module for MySQL database connections directly from
    PHP scripts. This new "Improved" interface should only be used to connect
    to MySQL databases greater than version 4.1. For older MySQL servers,
    please use the functions from the php5-mysql extension instead, which this
    package depends on."

I kind of thought that this was what you were asking for.

The three (see above post) php.ini files all have an extension statement pointing at mysqli.so

Thanks

Chris

Plugin Contributions

DrByte -

Thank you for your time and effort - the issue has been resolved.

The package for the required connector was indeed php5-mysqli for Ubuntu (and I assume other Debian-based systems)

It was correctly installed and configured - however, it does not work, at least in the case of your web-based install process, until you flip the apache deamon.

Even though it was one of those dummy errors I thought I would document the resolution here - there may be a few more genitically inbread fools like myself hanging around.

Thanks for giving me a clue on where to look.

Chris

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Chris,
    Thanks for posting the resolution, which will hopefully be of help to others too.
    Best of success with your shop !