Plugin Contributions

Default PHP as CGI application

Hello,

I'm considering setting up a Zen Cart shop using some hosting provided by F9.net. However, this ISP states "php is used with our CGI server to run PHP content on your site".

I've searched for info on this and read the ZC Wiki which states "..with PHP running as CGI, you may have some difficulties".

I'd be interested to know if anyone has successfully setup a shop in this type of hosting environment (PHP as CGI) and if so did it cause problems during installation and configuration?

Alternatively, I'd be interested to know if forum members think this is a bad idea and if I should use an alternative host.

Many thanks for your help!

ECW

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: PHP as CGI application

Hello, ecw ...
    We just left 1&1, which uses CGI for PHP, and had no problems with installing Zen Cart. However, our CreekTree site was running so slowly, and we could get no response or support from them, that we switched to a zen cart certified host a couple of weeks ago. Since then we've had wonderful response time, and are satisfied (at least for the moment! <grin>).
    I can't speak to the F9.net host though, have had no experience with them or their support. And don't know if the slow running was due to the PHP running as CGI or not, or if they were just overloaded servers.

Plugin Contributions

it all depends on how the server is set up. I just had a site leave dreamhost because I had to rein ZC in php as CGI to get the payment module working. but once I did that AOL started rejecting all email sent by the cart.
    You can try it and if things work wonky. then you may want to consider trying to change the method of PHP processing w/ an .htaccess file, if that does not work you may try contacting them and asking to have some info changed for you in their httpd.cong file for your account.

JOsh

Plugin Contributions

I'm in the process of moving my Zen Cart shops over to a new hosting company. Even though they do use PHP as CGI, they've optimized it so it works & runs smoothly. So far customer service has been good also.

Cheers!

Chris Kiltz
    Design by Kiltz Internet Solutions
    http://designbykiltz.com

Plugin Contributions

Thanks very much for the info