Plugin Contributions

Default stuck during install

Hi folk,

My brain seems to have turned to mush this morning.

I installed a site on a remote server months ago, and it works. And about 6 weeks ago I installed MAMP and Zen on my local Mac and got it working just fine. But the db is full of extra stuff and mistakes, and I want a clean one, so I thought I'd just install a second DB locally and load in an edited text file containing just what I want in the DB. Good practice just before setting up this site on my live server too. Or so I thought.

Now I'm stuck. I created a new DB via PHPmyadmin and noted its name. Then I started through the install steps as before. But when I get to the Database Setup screen I end up with a "Connection to Database failed -- Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)"

I've tried various permutations there - with and without a password; using root or using my Mac login username. (I have admin privileges on the Mac; there's only one user on it.)

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Or any idea how to track down the info I used when setting up the first local db? I just checked via PHPmyadmin, and user root has all privileges on my previous db.

Rob

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: stuck during install

You probably need to set up user permissions on the database itself through phpMyAdmin.

Go to Home and click on Privileges. Since you already have a user in there with appropriate permissions for the earlier db, you can select Edit for that user. Scroll down to "Database-specific privileges" and choose the new db name from the dropdown. Select all the Data and Structure privs (or match the selection in your earlier db's permissions), click Go and then go back to Home and click Reload mysql.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: stuck during install

Thanks Bill. I'll hang onto this thread in case I try that again.

I just went ahead and set up my second site -- without any hitches, thank goodness.

Rob