Plugin Contributions

Default How do I update just products through SQL from local site to live?

I have a local version of the live site (all the same except the config files) and the customer emails product changes/updates to me and I've been doing them locally then uploading the entire database.

It has occured to me that I am asking for trouble. By uploading the entire database I may over-write an order or new information related to customers. Although I download the database just before I make changes to the products someone might place an order and/or make changes to their account.

So, for those of you who have figured this out, could you give someone who has remedial skills with phpmyadmin, steps to updating just the product tables so I don't endanger the rest of the site?

I want to add new products, drop some products, update other products by overwriting the existing data on the live site with the data I have on my local server. And before someone states the obvious: I don't do all of this through the live site admin because I'm on dialup (yes, some of us live so far away from the hustle and bustle of the city we have no other option).

Thanks for your help.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: How do I update just products through SQL from local site to live?

This can be done via phpMyAdmin if you understand how the product tables fit together. But it would be easier to do it by using EasyPopulate, as that mod already has those relationships built-in.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

kuroi,

Thanks. While EasyPopulate is a possible solution it's not the one I'm looking for. Is there any way to do this using PHPMyAdmin? Surely this isn't that complicated.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.