Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Does Zen Cart have to run my entire site?

I have a quick general question, if I could.

The first time I used ZenCart was a year ago. I was subbed by another design house to install it - never had done it before so it was sort of "trial by fire" if you know what I mean :)

What we did was create the woman's site with static pages. Then we created the ZenCart foe her store, and linked to the store from her regular site's navigation. This was before we had any inkling that ZenCart could handle the *whole* site - we just thought it was a shopping cart. Like I said - trial by fire!

Anyway, we've had reports from this original installation that if you're shopping on the site, and you navigate out of the cart to the static site (for whatever reason) and then return to the shopping cart, all the contents of the cart are gone. I've "heard through the grapevine" (never validated this) that the reason is because ZenCart sets cookies on your visit, and if you navigate *outside* the cart itself - even if it's on the same base URL - you lose the cookie, and thus the cart contents. Therefore, when you build a site that will use ZenCart, you *must* allow ZenCart to handle the *entire* site, or this will happen.

I was wanting to know if this was true? Since this "revelation", we've been doing ZenCart installations all based on this premise, and allow ZenCart to handle everything. But now I've been asked to do a ZenCart installation on an already existing site that's running it's own custom PHP/database system. To take all of the pages from that very-established site would cause some real issues.

It seems to me that *someone* might be misinformed about the need for ZenCart to handle *all* pages if you plan to use it. I mean, if someone has an established site that's already set and running fine the way it is, and one day they decide to start selling something using ZenCart - it doesn't seem too far-fetched to want to just add ZenCart in with a link in the already existing site, and not have to worry about people losing items if they move away from the cart.

So am I right in my line of thinking? And if so, what needs to be done so that the weird "losing the content of the cart" issue doesn't happen? Should I have the programmer do something with the cookies so they aren't lost when going away? I dunno what I'm asking LOL - I just want verification that it's not true, and ZenCart can easily be an add-on. And that the previous issues people had are a couple of people who just have their browsers set to not accept cookies (I don't know how many people have said this - this is all third-hand rumor stuff, really.)

I'd like to be able to tell this new client that we *don't* have to overhaul the entire site (and it's a BIG site!) and all of the custom database work they've got going just to use ZenCart to sell a few things. I'd like to tell him that all we have to do is install ZenCart and then do something with the cookies (or whatever) and they'll be set. Please tell me I can! :)

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Does Zen Cart have to run my entire site?

Off the top of my head, I believe there's a setting in the admin which allows the cart to be "remembered" or cleared. I'm sure someone else with the definitive answer will be along shortly.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

Zen Cart uses a session ID,
    what happens is this session ID gets dropped when someone navigates out of the shop

Yes you can bolt Zen Cart on as a store but you want to make sure that once in the store they stay in the store until they are done shopping,
    or have created an account,
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

I wonder if they'd be able to keep the session id going, since the rest of their site is also operating on PHP? Obviously need some custom programming, but I can't see why it wouldn't work -- as long as the site visitor stays within the domain of course.

Plugin Contributions

Okay, so it's true, then - if they navigate away, they lose the cookie and therefore the cart. (I understand about logging in, but many people - like me! - will shop before creating an account, so *I* would be one of those poeple to lose the cart contents - which would p*** me off!)

Stevenson - this is what they were thinking. The custom PHP system is almost completely finished. They were also wondering if it were possib;e to program something to keep the ZenCart session ID (cookie) even if they navigate away. If you all think that *is* a viable option, then I think that they could certainly handle the programming to make it work. I'd just hate to get them started on it, only to find out it won't because of something ZenCart has set.

(and I didn't forget you, afo! I'll check into that suggestion too :) )

Thanks all :)

Plugin Contributions

Okay, I'm bringing this up again.

I have the WordPress contribution to ZenCart installted for a site I'm working on. But I'm running into a LOT of problems (I can't seem to get help for them), and I think I just need to separate the two. This is where this thread comes in: *if* I create a regular wordpress installation - not as a contribution to ZenCart, but as a standalone (typical) installation, will the end user lose the cookie if they go from zencart to wordpress and back? It'll be on the same domain, side-by-side installations.

If I place the wordpress installation inside the zencart *folder* (but not as a contribtuon), would that help to retain the cookie?

If not, woudl anyone know how I *can* retain the cookie? Would setting Sessions>Force Cookie Use to "true" help with this?

And since I'm here, is it possible to somehow use the ZenCart header file with my wordpress theme files? I know you can do this with Wordpress - it's just a matter of adding the wp-blog-header.php include to the top of any other file (like a static PHP page outside of WordPress), and you can use WordPress tags throughout to your heart's content. So I was wondering if there's a similar method using ZenCart - all I need is the ZenCart header to replace the WordPress header.

Any help would be appreciated.

Plugin Contributions

Yes they will lose the cookie
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

Thanks Merlin.

It's odd, though...I just tried it out myself. I *didn't* lose the cookie. I added stuff to the cart without logging in, then I moved to my own wordpress site (currently under the same domain name as the cart I'm working on - but *outside* the ZanCart installation). I went back to the cart, and my cart was still there - I lost nothing.

I did it again, this time moving from my zencart to a site somewhere else - totally different domain, and when I returned to the cart, my items were still there.

However, after around 20 minutes of waiting - whether I was in the ZenCart or not - when I came back, my stuff was gone.

So I *think* the previous issue is not the cookie passing through, but the length of time ZenCart holds onto it...

Plugin Contributions

I'm trying to provide the same functionality in order to avoid cart's content to be lost when the user leaves zencart for another site in a different domain and comes back again then.

Please give me a hint on what needs to be done in order to support that requirement.

Plugin Contributions

Like I said above - it's not the cookie that's lost, it's the time that's set for the cookie. I've had no problem starting a cart and navigating from site to site - as long as I return to the cart in that 24-minute window, my stuff is still there whether I'm logged in or not. If I come back *after* the 24-minute window has passed, everything is gone.

You can set the session for longer amount of time, but I really wouldn't do that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast