Plugin Contributions

help question 'smtpauth' email setup error

Hello,

I've been lurking through the forums for almost a year now. Thanks to the excellent documentation efforts, I've been able to figure out most of the common zen-cart pit falls which greatly reduced my learning curve. I now have an a particular email issue that has me stumped at the moment and I would greatly appreciate any input. I've searched the archives, used various search engines, and have ruled out my web/mail server's configuration without yielding a resolution to this problem. I've read through this guide which has been referenced many times but have not found a resolution to my email issue.

I currently have Zen-Cart 1.3.0.1 installed & configured on a collocated webserver. I have configured this webserver to allow virtual hosting and is running a apache (chroot'ed). I have sendmail configured and functioning properly with the 'smtpauth' setting under Admin > Configuration > Email Options > E-Mail Transport Method. Emailing through Zen-Cart 1.3.0.1 to my mail server has been working flawlessly since my initial installation (about 6 months ago). So no problems there.

I recently installed/configured the latest Zen-Cart release 1.3.7 in a separate directory (see below) and all is working properly except sending email from Zen-Cart 1.3.7 to my mail server. I have posted both "Email Options" settings for both Zen-Cart versions below. As you can see both email settings are identical (as it should be since the only thing changing here is the version of Zen-Cart). I have not made any changes to my mail server and I have no reason to believe my server's sendmail config is causing this issue. I have tried both 'sendmail' and 'sendmail -f' settings with out success but really do not want to use these settings. More importantly I need to get Zen-Cart functioning with the 'smtpauth' setting as I have other clients requiring this exact setup with the latest Zen-Cart release.

If anyone has any suggestions or would be kind enough to toss me a clue stick I would be most appreciative.

Directory Layout:

Zen-Cart 1.3.0.1
    /var/www/example.com/htdocs/shop1/

Zen-Cart 1.3.7
    /var/www/example.com/htdocs/shop1/shop2/

My current server Info:
    Server: OpenBSD ws0.example.com 4.0 GENERIC.RAID#2 i386
    PHP Version: 5.1.4 (Zend: 2.1.0)
    Database: MySQL 5.0.22-log
    HTTP Server: Apache/1.3.29 (Unix) PHP/5.1.4 mod_ssl/2.8.16 OpenSSL/0.9.7j
    SSL Server Certificate: (AES-256bit)

#####################
    # Zen-Cart v.1.3.0.1
    #####################

Email Options

E-Mail Transport Method smtpauth
    E-Mail Linefeeds LF
    Use MIME HTML When Sending Emails false
    Verify E-Mail Addresses Through DNS false
    Send E-Mails true
    Email Archiving Active? false
    E-Mail Friendly-Errors false
    Email Address (Displayed to Contact you) [email protected]
    Email Address (sent FROM) [email protected]
    Emails must send from known domain? No
    Email Admin Format? TEXT
    Send Copy of Order Confirmation Emails To [email protected]
    Send Copy of Create Account Emails To - Status 0
    Send Copy of Create Account Emails To [email protected]
    Send Copy of Tell a Friend Emails To - Status 0
    Send Copy of Tell a Friend Emails To [email protected]
    Send Copy of Customer GV Send Emails To - Status 0
    Send Copy of Customer GV Send Emails To [email protected]
    Send Copy of Admin GV Mail Emails To - Status 0
    Send Copy of Customer Admin GV Mail Emails To [email protected]
    Send Copy of Admin Discount Coupon Mail Emails To - Status 0
    Send Copy of Customer Admin Discount Coupon Mail Emails To [email protected]
    Send Copy of Admin Orders Status Emails To - Status 0
    Send Copy of Admin Orders Status Emails To [email protected]
    Send Notice of Pending Reviews Emails To - Status 0
    Send Notice of Pending Reviews Emails To [email protected]
    Set "Contact Us" Email Dropdown List Sales <[email protected]>, John <[email protected]>, Jane <[email protected]>, Mary <[email protected]>
    Allow Guest To Tell A Friend false
    Contact Us - Show Store Name and Address 1
    Send Low Stock Emails 0
    Send Low Stock Emails To [email protected]
    Display "Newsletter Unsubscribe" Link? true
    Audience-Select Count Display true
    SMTP Email Account Mailbox sales
    SMTP Email Account Password ********
    SMTP Email Mail Host smtps.example.com
    SMTP Email Mail Server Port 465
    Convert currencies for Text emails &pound;,£:&euro;,\u20ac

-----------------------------------

When I send an email from Zen-Cart v.1.3.0.1 Admin area the following gets displayed:

Notice: Email sent to: [email protected](1)

Additionally, here's what a successful mail log output for Zen-Cart v.1.3.0.1 looks like...

Output from /var/log/maillog:
    Apr 10 15:06:29 ws0 sm-mta[10140]: l3AM6Tsp010140: from=<[email protected]>, size=439, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<[email protected]>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, [email protected] [x.x.x.x]
    Apr 10 15:06:29 ws0 sm-mta[11460]: l3AM6Tsp010140: to=<[email protected]>, ctladdr=<[email protected]> (1008/1008), delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=local, pri=30665, dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent

###################
    # Zen-Cart v.1.3.7
    ###################

Email Options

E-Mail Transport Method smtpauth
    E-Mail Linefeeds LF
    Use MIME HTML When Sending Emails false
    Send E-Mails true
    Verify E-Mail Addresses Through DNS false
    Email Archiving Active? false
    E-Mail Friendly-Errors false
    Email Address (Displayed to Contact you) [email protected]
    Email Address (sent FROM) [email protected]
    Emails must send from known domain? No
    Email Admin Format? TEXT
    Send Copy of Order Confirmation Emails To [email protected]
    Send Copy of Create Account Emails To - Status 0
    Send Copy of Create Account Emails To [email protected]
    Send Copy of Tell a Friend Emails To - Status 0
    Send Copy of Tell a Friend Emails To [email protected]
    Send Copy of Customer GV Send Emails To - Status 0
    Send Copy of Customer GV Send Emails To [email protected]
    Send Copy of Admin GV Mail Emails To - Status 0
    Send Copy of Customer Admin GV Mail Emails To [email protected]
    Send Copy of Admin Discount Coupon Mail Emails To - Status 0
    Send Copy of Customer Admin Discount Coupon Mail Emails To [email protected]
    Send Copy of Admin Orders Status Emails To - Status 0
    Send Copy of Admin Orders Status Emails To [email protected]
    Send Notice of Pending Reviews Emails To - Status 0
    Send Notice of Pending Reviews Emails To [email protected]
    Set "Contact Us" Email Dropdown List Sales <[email protected]>, John <[email protected]>, Jane <[email protected]>, Mary <[email protected]>
    Allow Guest To Tell A Friend false
    Contact Us - Show Store Name and Address 1
    Send Low Stock Emails 0
    Send Low Stock Emails To [email protected]
    Display "Newsletter Unsubscribe" Link? true
    Audience-Select Count Display true
    SMTP Email Account Mailbox sales
    SMTP Email Account Password ********
    SMTP Email Mail Host smtps.example.com
    SMTP Email Mail Server Port 465
    Convert currencies for Text emails &pound;,£:&euro;,\u20ac

When I send an email from Zen-Cart v.1.3.7 Admin area the following gets displayed:

Email Error: The following From address failed: [email protected]

Here's what an unsuccessful mail log output for Zen-Cart v.1.3.7 looks like...

Output from /var/log/maillog:

Apr 10 14:26:14 ws0 sm-mta[28225]: STARTTLS=server, error: accept failed=-1, SSL_error=1, errno=0, retry=-1
    Apr 10 14:26:14 ws0 sm-mta[28225]: STARTTLS=server: 28225:error:140760FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_CLIENT_HELLO:unknown protocol:/usr/src/lib/libssl/src/ssl/s23_srvr.c:589:
    Apr 10 14:26:14 ws0 sm-mta[28225]: l3ALQ4EE028225: [email protected] [x.x.x.x] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to TLSMTA

TIA.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: 'smtpauth' email setup error

As far as I remember, both 1.3.0.1 and 1.3.7 use phpmailer as the transport, so that shouldn't be an issue.
    However, from your logs above, it is failing at the establish connection stage, so that hardly comes into it. Do you use client certs at all, or perhaps you are missing the php classes for sasl on the new site? 7bit/8bit? Missing a site cert?
    Does sendmail know about the new site as a local site/domain allowed to send mail?
    Is it possible to switch the transport to php or sendmail and test that to see if a connection can be established without secure authentication?
    Fundamentally, it cannot establish a sasl/tls connection so I would proceed from there and try to build up from the lowest level

Plugin Contributions

hi Chuckl,

As far as I remember, both 1.3.0.1 and 1.3.7 use phpmailer as the transport, so that shouldn't be an issue.
    However, from your logs above, it is failing at the establish connection stage, so that hardly comes into it.
    Do you use client certs at all, or perhaps you are missing the php classes for sasl on the new site?
    I'm not sure what you mean by php classes. How would I find out? I'm using cyrus-sasl as the sasl daemon which is working properly.
    http://www.openbsd.org/4.0_packages/....tgz-long.html
    If by certs you mean ssl certs then yes for this particular domain it is installed and has been working properly.

7bit/8bit?
    Zen-Cart 1.3.7 is currently set to the default 8bit. Zen-Cart 1.3.0.1 looks like its set to 8bit aswell:

/var/www/example.com/htdocs/shop1/includes/classes/class.phpmailer.php

Line #51 : * Sets the Encoding of the message. Options for this are "8bit",

Line #55 : var $Encoding = "8bit";

Line #1120 : case "8bit":

Missing a site cert?
    None are missing.

Does sendmail know about the new site as a local site/domain allowed to send mail?
    Yes it's configured for this particular domain and is allowed to send/received mail.

Is it possible to switch the transport to php or sendmail and test that to see if a connection can be established without secure authentication?
    Yes, for the sake of testing I've already tried all transport methods with out a successful email transaction with Zen-Cart 1.3.7.

Fundamentally, it cannot establish a sasl/tls connection so I would proceed from there and try to build up from the lowest level
    Right, based on the mail logs, this was may initial thought as well but I've triple checked the sendmail configuration & sasl cert which are all working perfectly with Zen-Cart 1.3.0.1 including email clients (MUA) such as Thunderbird and M$ Outlook Express. Even our webmail app, SquirrelMail, is functioning perfectly with out any sasl errors.

This is very strange. Thanks again for your suggestions. If anyone else has any other suggestions I'm all ears.

Plugin Contributions

The classes class.phpmailer and class.smtp are essentially identical between the 2 releases, but functions_email.php has changed a fair bit. Might be worth temporarily replacing the 1.3.7 file wih the old one and send a test email?
    I don't know if it will work, but it might narrow the field down a bit

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckl View Post
    The classes class.phpmailer and class.smtp are essentially identical between the 2 releases, but functions_email.php has changed a fair bit. Might be worth temporarily replacing the 1.3.7 file wih the old one and send a test email?
    I don't know if it will work, but it might narrow the field down a bit
    Brilliant! As soon as I replaced the file 'functions_email.php' from Zen-Cart 1.3.0.1 into Zen-Cart 1.3.7 sending and receiving email through 1.3.7 began to work. That was too easy. Granted this is only a temporary fix as I would much rather be using the latest code. I'll review the two files and/or submit a bug report.

Thanks again Chuckl you saved me much time.

Plugin Contributions

In 1.3.7 functions_email there is some uneasy looking code at the start of function 'zen_mail', referencing some undefined constants about developer_overide_email_address and status. I'd delete or comment out those lines for starters. The if (SEND_EMAILS != ) line needs to stay however.

Plugin Contributions

I see. I'll take a closer look once I'm done upgrading my clients shops and post my findings (if any). Thanks again.