Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Upgrade to PHP 5

My Server Administrator just informed me that they are going to upgrade to the newest version of PHP, which is 5.... Are there any problems with running Zen-cart of PHP 5 or should I stay on PHP 4.4?

My site administrator said there hopefully going to give us the option of the newest two or three versions....

Does anybody know anything about this, I will have to know before Monday or Tuesday because that is when they intend on doing the upgrade.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Upgrade to PHP 5

If you are using the latest Zen Cart 1.3.7 - I believe that most all issues with php 5.x are corrected. If earlier version - upgrade or search here for php5 and apply the fixes.
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Long as they use PHP v5.2.1 or greater, you will not have any problems -- with ZenCart or any other PHP script.

Plugin Contributions

That is a very broad statement ...

Any version with incorrect settings, configuration, libraries etc. can cause problems ...

Zen Cart is not, at this time, listed as approved for php v5.x ... we are making updates as we discover them ... but until php v5.x is more stable and all of the issues have been discovered ... I certainly would not throw out there a blanket statement of:
    Quote Originally Posted by Website Rob View Post
    Long as they use PHP v5.2.1 or greater, you will not have any problems -- with ZenCart or any other PHP script.
    Rule of Thumb: User beware of new environments ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Ajeh, If they give me an option of using a few different versions of PHP, than which one do you suggest for the time being??

Plugin Contributions

I am rather fond of php 4.4.4 ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Ajeh View Post
    That is a very broad statement ...

Any version with incorrect settings, configuration, libraries etc. can cause problems ...

Zen Cart is not, at this time, listed as approved for php v5.x ... we are making updates as we discover them ... but until php v5.x is more stable and all of the issues have been discovered ... I certainly would not throw out there a blanket statement of:

Rule of Thumb: User beware of new environments ...
    Although what you say is true, not every posting can cover all bases. Tis better sometimes, to give a broad statement and let a person ask specifics than to give an ambiguous or fague answer that leaves a person wondering. Mind you, they could also ask specifics as well.

My point was that various versions of PHP previous to 5.2.1 did have some bugs and cause problems which 5.2.1 fixed. And even if ZenCart is not yet 'approved' for PHP 5.x, the benefits of using it, for all kinds of scripts and programming features, outweigh having to wait. We have many Clients using 5.2.1 and no problems with ZenCart or any other script -- due specifically to the PHP version used.

Plugin Contributions

php4.x is still viable and not near end of life as yet. php5 is still getting kinks worked out. Register_Globals dependencies are an issue that many developers running up against when writing for the newest builds of php.

php 4.4.4 is our version of choice. Since we run php as Apache, our users can flag a directory by .htaccess to select a specific php version (4 or 5) to run in that directory; making it easy to test versions against a specific script.

Plugin Contributions

Just to throw some more fuel on this campfire.

How is the globals off issue handled? As I understand it php5 doesn't bother with globals on or off.

Thanks,

Plugin Contributions

PHP5 coding will be much lighter due to the _autoload function that will do away with endless includes at the top of files.

In regards to turning register_globals off for a given directory (if php runs as apache)
    in .htaccess type:

php_flag register_globals off

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast