Plugin Contributions

Default odd statement in install instructions

From the first page of the long install instructions...
    NOTE: As you upload your files, make sure that your FTP program and your webserver allow "long filenames". For example, by default, MAC OS tends to not maintain long filenames, and you'll need to modify settings to allow this.
    I don't believe there has ever been a time when this was true. The earliest Macs, back in the mid 80s, supported 32 character file names -- at a time when Windows required the venerable 8.3 naming convention inherited from DOS.

Certainly there has not been a Mac OS made in the last decade which would cause anyone to think that it did not support long file names.

Don't take my word for it. Have a look at this discussion.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: odd statement in install instructions

That comment was written based on observation of a significant number of folks reporting difficulties when uploading files to a mac for installation. "I didn't set anything special," was the comment by most. Changing settings to use long filenames resolved the matter in every case.

Perhaps the wording is incorrect.
    The principle appears to stand.

How would you suggest it be reworded ? In laymans terms so a total newbie can comprehend not only the problem but also the solution?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Fascinating are the ways of man and computer. ;-)

I've used Macs since 1985 and never once have I seen or heard of any way that I could choose to use or not use long file names. It's just part of the operating system, and is not now and has never been under user control.

Which leaves me wondering what the heck people meant when they said that they changed settings to use long file names. (Great advice I read ages ago: when you're having a communication problem, accept that what the other person says is true, then try to imagine what it could be true of.)

Leaving that aside, I don't think the issue has to be raised at all. Just leave out the second sentence. The statement "...by default, MAC OS tends to not maintain long filenames..." is factually wrong, and since the user has no control over long file name use by the OS, you shouldn't leave them with the impression that they do.

You should, of course, confirm what I'm saying with someone more used to spelunking the guts of the OS. I'm a highly knowledgeable user, but not what I call a "deep doo doo" user. (That is, a programmer. )

Plugin Contributions

Ah! My brain just kicked in. It often does that just after I send a message.

They may have been talking about a setting with their FTP software. I suppose older FTP software may have shortened file names -- perhaps assuming that file exchanges were taking place between Macs and PCs back when PCs used short file names (pre 93) and there would have been a setting in the FTP program to let it use long file names for Mac to Mac transfers.

In that case, the statement should just caution the user to make sure their FTP program is set to allow long file names. This of course would be true on any OS. But since it's been about 14 years since any common OS used short file names, it may be time to drop the issue altogether.

Rob