Plugin Contributions

Default Cant figure out why people keep refreshing!

Im frustrated! Ive been tracking my users over the last few days and it seems like at least 50-60% of my users refresh my main page over and over again like they cant view it properly.

I thought a few days ago that it had to do with the different browsers, but I have tested my site on old versions of IE and Firefox and I even used an online browsershots.org program to take screenshots of my site in a bunch of different browsers to make sure it viewed okay.

So, why do people keep refreshing my page and then leave? I had one visitor this morning that refresshed about 10 times every 10 seconds or so and then I guess finally gave up...most users only refresh once or twice. They arent using anything out of the ordinary that I havent tested the site in, so Im wondering if there are certain settings on some peoples computers that may make the site unviewable?
    Would anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Thanks.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Cant figure out why people keep refreshing!

Could you supply a link please?

Plugin Contributions

Sure...its www.gourmetshoppe.net

Im really worried because I am losing a lot of my visitors and potential customers, but I cant figure out what they are seeing to make them have to refresh the page, sometimes multiple times and then leave!

Plugin Contributions

Can not see any problem from my side. Page loaded first time and all clicks responded.

Sorry, maybe somebody else can help on this one.

Plugin Contributions

Just went to your site. It will be a little lengthy, but I have a belief about what is wrong. However, I must first say that it is NOT meant to be demeaning or belittling of the ZEN-CART team.

First, I think there is a fundamental flaw in the ZEN CART process. When my client tested the ZC store I built for him, he said, "I do not understand the reason for the 'Return to Shopping' button." I asked him what he meant... he (in my words) said that it always took him back to the home page and he did not know what to do at that point.

I went to your site, and it works that way also. In my opinion, sending you back to the home page IS a logical choice for us geeks, but the general every day shopper does not have a clue - we are sending the shopper back to an area that he is not familiar with. We could liken it to a person shopping in a store - and what we are telling them is every time they put something in their cart, they must go back to the front door/store entrance and go back down the aisles to pick up the next item. That is NOT logical to Mom and Pop shoppers. The real next step is to keep on moving down the aisle and put more stuff in the cart, IF they want to "CONTINUE SHOPPING."

Does any of that make sense?

My solution (for the time being) is to add a 'CHECK CART' button below the ADD TO CART button, and change the link of the "CONTINUE SHOPPING" button to a link that more resembles an actual store - for example: My store has 21 Categories - I use the categories like one would use aisles in a store - so instead of sending them back to the store's front door, I put them back on the page for the category they were in - however, if you do that, there is the potential that they will miss all the other categories.

Additionally, my home page describes to them why they are on the home page... and there are NO products there - just links to other places.

SUMMARY,
    Personally I believe the ZEN CART team needs to look into this further. They are a marvelous group of zealots who leave NO stones unturned. I am NOT patronizing these folks. Every time I have had any issue, someone steps up to the plate and makes no excuses... they just roll up their sleeves and get to work for ME - thanks folks.

Respectfully,

John Underwood, jund
    Last edited by jund; 18 Apr 2007 at 07:01 PM. Reason: misspelling

Plugin Contributions

I think you may have some categories linked oddly? Not sure, but screenshot here shows when I am in Meats, so are a lot of coffees? (Featured products in Meats & Seafoods).

Or maybe I just don't know that coffee goes with meat?

The site seems to work fine for me, but it gets confusing if I try to figure out what category I am in while shopping...maybe that's why they are refreshing?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    -James Starting from scratch!
    Started out w/ZenCart 1.3.7 (No upgrades)
    http://www.nomadicmoto.com/
    Review my site here: http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63630