Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default PayPal Express - is it a good idea?

I am just testing PayPal Express with my test 1.3.7 cart. My live cart is still 1.3.6.

I am looking at this and ask myself, is this really a good idea? I find it very intrusive the way PayPal express checkout is presenting itself on my pages.

First of all it is a bright orange button screaming at you. Second, even if I choose to ignore the bright orange button and choose to click my regular checkout button, another prompt and promo slogan for paypal appears.

Maybe this is controllable with the options, I have not played too long with it yet but couldn't help myself to ask the question: Is this really what I want? Advertisement for PayPal? Sure, I like to give to customer choices, but do I want to push PayPal this hard?? Hmm....

I would appreciate some feedback....am I the only one that feels this way? Otherwise, express checkout in general is a great idea. I would love to see a express checkout as a standard feature (non paypal payments).
    Live and learn... the Zen way.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: PayPal Express - is it a good idea?

thats the thing with paypal - you dont need to push it hard. Many online shoppers already know about it and won't purchase from a store unless they offer it.. even if they're not paying with paypal for that order. Thats what mass advertising does to people

IPN is good until it screws up.. i didn't have it screw up until an order in January. The cart has been running since May.. and has changed servers 3-4 times as well

Plugin Contributions

The thing that bothers me about PayPal Express is that it disrupts the regular checkout process by taking you to Paypal first and then completing the checkout process on my site.

I've been operating for a few years using the regular Paypal IPN so I'm reluctant to switch over to Express because I think it's confusing for my existing customers. - It was confusing for me the first time I tested it

The orange color doesn't really bother me...

Plugin Contributions

If you are accepting PayPal then the choice is strictly up to you which method you use.

The advantage of the Express checkout is customers are not forced to make an account with you.

The disadvantage is your customers are not making an account with you.

Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Kim, I guess you are right about the account thing. My take is, PayPal is a option I want to offer, but I am not particularly interested to promote them as the preferred payment method. The way the module presents itself, it looks like the must do thing, please sign up for paypal prompts and all. I could do without the ad stuff. Less intrusive would be better. Maybe I figure out a way...or just use the old method of accepting paypal. Just wanted to know what other people think....

Plugin Contributions

I just installed it. Its a GReat idea, but why does it go back into my site to complete checkout. Thats so weird!

Plugin Contributions

well, you would like to have the order actually created for you right,

the zen cart invoice and such.....
    Zen cart PCI compliant Hosting

Plugin Contributions

Hey Merlin, since you soooooo smart! Know where we can get customized paypal invoices made? I want a pretty one to match my site.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by jewelrylady View Post
    Know where we can get customized paypal invoices made? I want a pretty one to match my site.
    It's a PayPal receipt, so it's gonna look like PayPal. However, you can create a Page Style in your PayPal Profile settings on the PayPal website, give it a name, and then specify that name in your Zen Cart PayPal module.
    The Page Style lets you select color schemes for various parts of the page and a logo to appear at the top of the page.
    You can create several page styles if you like, giving them different names. Zen Cart only uses the one you specify in the Zen Cart settings.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Here is the main thing that does not sit well with me.

Scenario:

- I shop around and put items in the shopping cart
    - I am now in "Your Shopping Cart Contents" page, ready to check out
    - I see the regular check out button and then the new yellow Paypal express button

so far no objection, maybe I would grayscale the button so it looks equal to the regular check out one. Never mind, good so far...

- I decide to go with regular check out

- I get another new screen with paypal and below a button for sign up (if I really want to create an account)!!

here is what I don't get...I would like to see now the regular login/registration page. But no, again the paypal button on a new screen asking if I want to do paypal express check out. Wait a minute....I just decided on the previous screen not to do paypal and wanted to check out in THIS store!?

So we have now an additional step for new customerse that want to check out on my site.

I do appreciate the fact that there is an Paypal Express checkout option, BUT I think it is counter productive making the regular check out process even more difficult.

I believe check out should be straight forward, not redundant and difficult. I can't wait for a one or two step check out for zencart. Then we would have the ultimate selling machine.....

Why can't the selection of check out on the shopping cart page be final?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast