Plugin Contributions

red flag Doing new install get 3 warnings on install page

I get three warnings when I go to the install screen, PHP API Mode=cgi-fcgi, Register Globals is on PHP Output Buffering (gzip is OFF). Below is my system inspection results and then the messages I get on the two of the three warnings. Can anyone help me with what I should do? Haven't installed it yet because I want it to be right before I preceed.

Thanks.

System Inspection Results
    • Webserver = Apache
    • HTTP Host = www.sullivanvitamins.com
    • Path_Translated = /home/content/v/i/t/vitamins6/html/zencart/zc_install/index.php(SCRIPT_FILENAME)
    • Server Free Disk Space = 3581.42 GB
    • PHP O/S = Linux
    • PHP API Mode = cgi-fcgi Click here for more info
    • PHP Max Execution Time per page = 30
    • Register Globals = ON Click here for more info
    • MySQL Support = ON
    • PHP Version = 4.3.11
    • PHP Safe Mode = OFF
    • PHP Sessions Support = ON
    • PHP Session.AutoStart = OFF
    • PHP session.use_trans_sid = OFF
    • Suggested SQL Cache Folder = /home/content/v/i/t/vitamins6/html/zencart/cache
    • PHP magic_quotes_runtime setting = OFF
    • PHP GD Support = ON
    • GD Version = GD bundled (2.0.28 compatible)
    • PHP ZLIB Compression Support = ON
    • PHP OpenSSL Support = ON
    • PHP cURL Support = ON
    • PHP Upload Support = ON upload_max_filesize=8M; post_max_size=8M
    • PHP Upload TMP dir = /tmp

View PHPINFO for your server
    Other System Information (For Reference Only) The following info does not necessarily indicate any problem or configuration issue. It is simply for the sake of displaying it in an easy-to-find location.
    • PHP include_path = .:/usr/local/lib/php
    • PHP SMTP destination = relay-hosting.secureserver.net
    • PHP sendmail path = /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i
    • PHP sendmail 'from' = [email protected]
    • PHP open_basedir restrictions =
    • PHP Output Buffering (gzip) = OFF
    • PHP FTP Support = ON
    • PHP XML Support = ON
    • PHP Session.Save_Path = /tmp -->Writeable

File and Folder Permissions In order for many Zen Cart™ administrative and day-to-day functions to work properly, You need to mark several files/folders "Writeable". The following is a list of folders which need to be "read-write", along with recommended CHMOD settings. Please correct these settings before continuing installation. Refresh this page in your browser to re-check settings.

Some hosts may not allow you to set CHMOD 777, but only 666. Start with the higher setting first, and switch to lower values if required.
    • includes/configure.php = Writeable
    • admin/includes/configure.php = Writeable
    • cache = OK
    • images = OK
    • includes/languages/english/html_includes = OK
    • media = OK
    • pub = OK
    • admin/backups = OK
    • admin/images/graphs = OK

Ready to Install? (This will wipe any existing data. You are NOT in Upgrade mode!!!)
    PHP running as cgi not recommended unless server is Windows

Running PHP as CGI can be problematic on some Linux/Unix servers.

Windows servers, however, "always" run PHP as a cgi module, in which case this warning can be ignored.

Register Globals

Zen Cart™ can work with the "Register Globals" setting on or off. However, having it "off" leaves your system somewhat more secure.

If you wish to disable it, and your hosting company won't turn it off for you, you might try adding this to an .htaccess file in the root of your shop (you may have to create the file if you don't already have one):
    php_value session.use_trans_sid off
    php_value register_globals off
    #php_value register_globals off
    <Files ".ht*">
    deny from all
    </Files>
    or talk to your hosting company for assistance.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Doing new install get 3 warnings on install page

Still haven't found a solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Plugin Contributions

okay, I'm no Zen goddess, but I have installed a cart before, so maybe I might be able to help you a teeny bit. But we'll see.

I know that my register globals are on also. They had to be for some mod I installed that really needed to work. It wasn't a problem I guess.

What kind of server do you have? Are you actually on a Windows server? I didn't have that error message that I know of. I'm on a linux server I believe.

I know I replied to your PM telling you to search that other phrase. I searched it and didn't come up with anything.

Honestly, here's what I would do. First, ask your host provider if that PHP API Mode thing is a problem, ask what kind of server you have. Then: Install the cart, to your test site, or site that isn't live yet. Load the test products/categories etc. Then set it up as you would want the live store to be, meaning your shipping/payment. Then fool around with it. Run test transactions, see if anything doesn't work.

In the meantime hope that one of the guys that actually knows what they are talking about answers ;) hehehehe

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

ladysaat is right -- install it and test it out.

PHP as CGI is likely the only issue to be concerned about, and that may or may not adversely affect you. It doesn't need to cripple you "today", but keep it in mind if certain things just don't work right, and be sure to mention it when posting for help if features aren't working right.
    You can't change the API mode. That's up to your hosting company.

The Register Globals thing isn't a huge issue. Entirely up to you. Follow the instructions you posted in order to turn it off. If that doesn't work, talk to your hosting company. If they cannot or will not help ... take it as a clue that they probably are not the company to host your real business site when you're ready to go live.

PHP output-buffering/gzip support ... if it's off by default, you'll need to enable that in your Zen Cart admin if you want to benefit from the increased speed of page loading that gzip offers. It's a little less efficient than having the server do it by default, but at least it's a workaround.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Everything installed fine. Thanks. Need to figure out how to modify the template now to replace the zen cart banner at the top with the one I design that has buttons. Any suggestions?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by gws76 View Post
    Everything installed fine. Thanks. Need to figure out how to modify the template now to replace the zen cart banner at the top with the one I design that has buttons. Any suggestions?
    1. The user's manual: http://www.zen-cart.com/book

2. The FAQ Section: https://tutorials.zen-cart.com
    Esp look at the section on "What every new Zen Cart user needs to know", and of course the "templating" area.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I know this is an old thread, but since the majority of hosting companies run php as cgi, maybe you would care to elaborate on that aspect of your answer?
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" - Ghandi