Plugin Contributions

customer issue Complete Novice..help

I am keen to learn how to use Zen Cart. I have uploaded Zen Cart to my domain name but I have no idea where to start. I don't understand how I can change the css files, I have a script editor but don't see how I can access the files. I usually use Dreamweaver, can I access the files from there to change them and upload them?

Is the best thing to purchase the book so I can learn thoroughly how to use Zen Cart?
    Thank you

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Complete Novice..help

The book will walk you through all the steps you need to set up and run Zen Cart, and is well worth the price. It doesn't go much into customization, as that is a huge topic all by itself. For that, there is this forum, and the FAQs, tutorials and wiki.

Dreamweaver may be of some use to you (I know others - including pros - use it as part of their site building process), but the best way to edit PHP and CSS files is with a good text editor. I like Notepad++, and I hear Crimson Editor is good too. Do not use Frontpage, as it can mangle your files.

Start off with these two threads from this forum:

First Steps to Setting Up Your Online Shop

Second step in setting up your cart - templates

Good luck, have fun, and ask if you still need help after reading/searching.

Plugin Contributions

customer issue Re: Complete Novice..help

Hi Glen
    many thanks for your reply. I've just had a look at your site and that is exactly what I want to be able to do, personalise the site so the homepage isn't the storefront straight away, and then change the appearance and put in my own logo etc into the store. I have downloaded crimson editor, but I still can't get my head round how to edit the files. I'm a web designer and feel pretty rubbish that I can't work out how to use this, but all this stuff is completely new to me! I need a step-by-step guide of how to access the files, change them, save them, upload them and how to include images etc.

I think I may invest in the book as it may be useful if I want to be really competent with this...

Lucy

Plugin Contributions

Lucy,
    Reading those threads will get you started. It would also be good to have a development copy of your site on your pc. There is an article in the wiki on this: Making a Local Copy of Your Web Site.

Plugin Contributions

If you haven't done so already, I suggest you unzip a copy of ZC onto your local drive so you can get a feel for the directory/file structure. I find it easiest to edit locally and FTP the changes to the site. I usually use Notepad or Crimson Editor to edit the php files. They don't add the dreaded white space that annoys php. I don't use code generators like Dreamweaver, but whatever floats your boat.

To create a very basic custom template (you can build from there), you need:
    • includes/languages/YOUR_TEMPLATE/english.php
    • includes/languages/english/YOUR_TEMPLATE/index.php
    • includes/languages/english/YOUR_TEMPLATE/header.php (to change the logo)
    • includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/template_info.php
    • includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/common/tpl_header.php
    • includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/common/tpl_footer.php
    • includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/images/logo.gif
    • includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/css/stylesheet.css

Any where you see a /classic/ folder, you can create a folder for your custom template. Copy the files you need from /classic/, /template_default/ or the parent directory.

Edit includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/template_info.php to give your template identifying info (you'll understand when you open the file).

Always use a text editor like Notepad or Crimson Editor to edit php files.

Once you've built your template, go into your admin under tools->template selection and select it from the pull down menu.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

customer issue Re: Complete Novice..help

Many thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. I shall take some time out to have a go and see where I get... you've all been really helpful! Thank you!