Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default "About Us" page doesn't work Apple template

I hope I'm posting in the right spot, as I'm not sure if this is a general Zen Cart issue or whether it's related to the contributed template that I'm using.

There is an "About Us" page which just gives an error when you try to go to it. I've disabled the page from showing in the "Contact Us" menu, so that the error won't appear. I've got the proper page in the right place, but for some reason it just won't *point* there.

I'm not too hot with .php so I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem (I can't even recall whether the default Zen template has an "About Us" page at this point)?

Thanks,

--Melissa

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: "About Us" page doesn't work

URL to your site?
    Teach them to shop and they will shop today;
    Teach them to Zen and they will OWN a shop tomorrow!

Plugin Contributions

Another EZ option would be to make your own "about us" page in your favorite editor (I use Dreamweaver), and through your admin create a new EZ-Page named "About Us". Then, copy and paste your Dreamweaver code (minus the <html><head><body> etc. tags...and you should now have a link to about us in your Nav Wrapper. If that's not an option for you, send me an email and I can help. I'm a new zenner myself, but we've been working so hard I'm learning a lot. Hope I can help ya.

-Tom

My family and I live in Brighton, England
    Plugin Contributions

If memory serves, the error-generating "About Us" page comes pre-loaded in Jade's Apple Zen template. If so, you might to search that thread. I know that this issue was discussed there previously.

Tim

Plugin Contributions

Hi all,

I found the problem issue in the Apple Zen link, as was suggested by Tim:

http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showth...093#post336093

This should solve my problem. If not, I may try the route of Tom.

Thank you!

--Melissa

Plugin Contributions

If only I could tell that my problem was fixed! I've uploaded the About_Us contribution, and set up the folders to show my template name, etc.

However, I can't seem to get it to show again in the dropdown under "Contact Us" where it used to be. It almost seems like there's a place in Admin to turn it on/off, although I can't figure out where. I'm NOT swift in .php and it took me a couple of months to figure out how to NOT get it to show because it wasn't working -- and now I can't recall where I did that!

If I call the page directly, it is there. However, I can't get the link to appear in the drop-down menu.

I should just leave this stuff to the pro's. . .

--Melissa
    Last edited by toob; 29 Apr 2007 at 11:23 PM. Reason: adding direct page call info

My family and I live in Brighton, England
    Plugin Contributions

Honestly I don't remember if there was a toggle switch in the admin for the About Us. However I belive the following will add the active link to your drop down menu nonetheless:

Open up includes/templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/common/tpl_drop_menu.php.

Within that, find the link that you want your link beneath.

(It sounds like you want yours under the FILENAME_CONTACT_US link)

Find that section:
    PHP Code:
    <li class="submenu"><a href="<?php echo zen_href_link(FILENAME_CONTACT_US'''NONSSL'); ?>"><?php echo HEADER_TITLE_CONTACT_US?></a></li>
    Now beneath that just add your link with html:
    PHP Code:
    <li><a href="your_link_here.htm">Name of Link Here</a></li
    When I've done this, it's been to add links to the "Information" dropdown but the logic is the same so hopefully it will work!

Good luck!

Tim

Plugin Contributions

"The route of tom"...awesome.

Melissa, You sound like a newB too...i don't know nothin at all really, but since i know some c++, it wasn't too bad picking up on this php stuff.

do this:

in admin, go to tools > developers tool kit.
    scroll to the bottom, and type exactly as it appears "About Us"
    Select "all files catalog/admin" from the dropdown and search.

you will get a list of every single file that has about us. I'm not sure which one you're looking for....but make sure paths, etc are correct.

ALSO, type in the name of the box you want it to appear in, and you should get a php with a bunch of #define blah blah blah....if so, you can make your own about us call.

seriously, email me if you can't fix it. a.struct######################

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: "About Us" page doesn't work Apple template

I noticed this morning after reading the messages here that my "About Us" does in fact show in the "Information" menu BUT, alas, I do want it to appear with "Contact Us". I tried adding this line beneath the "Contact Us" code as you mentioned, Tim:

PHP Code:
    <li><a href="your_link_here.htm">Name of Link Here</a></li
    What it did, though, was 1) no link appeared beneath 'Contact Us' (I wonder if I need to list it as a submenu and level2?) and it did this weird thing where it shifted my shopping cart menu off to the next carriage line shifted all the way to the left beneath my 'Home' menu (although nothing appeared in its place where it should have belonged, at the far right of the menu system at the top of the page).

I would post a link to the weirdness (I suppose that would help) but I am about to leave for work and don't want to leave my site in disarray during the day! I've put it back the way it should be -- and the main site is here: http://www.tiledtextures.com/shoppe/

I'll play with it some more tonight and see if I can't somehow make the Contact Us code as a header which shows both 'Contact Us' and 'About Us' as dropdowns in the menu. Otherwise, if they want to learn about us, they can still look under 'Information' (I wonder if it was there all along? LOL).

Thanks again for your input, and yes, I'm a newbie, although it is fun learning! :)

--Melissa

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: "About Us" page doesn't work Apple template

Hey melissa...didn't mean to be rude w/ newB thing...i am too. learnin zen IS fun, i agree. check this out, maybe if you want these links to be menu based, you can add them as products and categories.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast