Plugin Contributions

Default Can zencart do what I want it to?

Hi guys,

I noticed zencart is very product oriented. Suppose I want to do something along the lines of dell's ordering process; where I place an order on an item (for the sake of conversation, let's say a laptop) and I want to then be able to customize that order and add items to it.

So let's say I buy a laptop, I can buy insurance on it, I can buy a second adapter, a travel adapter, a case, etc... When I go to the shopping cart, I don't want to see each individual item, it should be 1 item; the laptop, and clicking on it should allow me to review/alter my customizations and accompanying items.

Is this the type of thing that zencart does well or should I be looking into custom building this? If it is a good application for zencart, can somebody point me to the resources necessary to do a similar setup, where the shopping cart contains orders, not prices. I can't seem to figure it out and i've been messing around with zencart for almost a week now.

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can zencart do what I want it to?

The type of ordering you want is not part of the Zen Cart core at this time.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can zencart do what I want it to?

I supose you have already used Attributes.

Anyway, the problem for now is that you can not delete an attribute value ( let's say you buy a laptop as you say and you add a second power adapter wich is provided in the shop as an attribute value ) when you see the product on shopping cart.

I am new in PHP but I believe there is nothing that PHP can not do !

I do not believe that it is so hard to modify the needed files, so when someone have some attributes values in his product, he will be given the option to delete an attribute value, or add another ( or more ) attribute value to this product.

Well, this should be a good issue to discuss , for an option like this to be added to a future version of Zen Cart.