Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Changing the product description lengh from 15 characters?

I would like to increase the description character lengh from 15 to possibly around 25-30 characters. Is this possible? Is this something that needs to be changed in the stylesheet.css? Thanks Daniel

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Changing the product description lengh from 15 characters?

The default is 150 characters...

Set this in admin > Configuration > Product Listing > Display Product Description.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for your reply Glenn. I am actually meaning the product listing description which is only 15 characters. I cannot find anywhere to change this in the "Configuration" settings. Sorry i was unclear. Thanks Daniel

Plugin Contributions

Where does this product listing description appear? I need to know what it is before I can give good advice.

Plugin Contributions

It appears on the main screen of each sales page. This refer to what the product is called. We have products which require more than 15 characters which just get cut off when trying to view them. When actually creating the item it allows us to put the whole name except when viewing them its a different story.
    Thanks again

Plugin Contributions

I'm still not sure what you mean. I have product names that are 40-50+ characters long, and nothing at all that gets limited to 15 or so characters.

We really need a link to a page where this is happening, or if you can't do that, a screenshot.

Plugin Contributions

Sorry Glenn, my must be using the wrong wording of what i am talking about.
    I appreciate you talking the time to help. Screenshot is attached which should be more clear. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Plugin Contributions

Now I see what you're talking about. Unfortunately, there is little I can do to help in this case, because you have a third-party template that is apparently set up with fixed sizes, not a standard Zen Cart display. Nobody here knows how it is coded.

If we could see the cart in operation, it might be easier to locate the code that is limiting the display.

Plugin Contributions

Hi Glenn,
    The link is www.field-hockey-equipment.com/fhe/zen. Sorry for the delay and thanks again for taking the time to help me out.
    Regards,
    Daniel

Plugin Contributions

This is decidedly strange.
    Aside from being rather inefficient in places (like a whole div for main cell padding around a div for main cell border...) and using a lot of spacer.gif images where margins would do the job cleaner & easier, there is nothing I can see in the HTML output or the stylesheet that would be limiting the product name width.

There must be something in the PHP code overlaying the standard ZC code that is cutting the display. Does the display always cut exact characters, or is there sometimes a fractional character visible? If there was a pixel width limitation, there would be occasional cutoffs.

I think this may be a relic of the original tabled layout of the template. It may have been necessary to limit the text so it couldn't push the tables out of their designed sizes. The template looks like a tabled design converted by rote to divs, with all the complications tables require left in.

Somewhere in your template files there will most likely be an operation that takes the product name and truncates it to 15 or whatever characters. I have seen a similar thing in another template where someone was unnecessarily limited in normal function. You might best take the problem to your source and ask them to fix it. If they won't, enough searching will eventually reveal the culprit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast