Plugin Contributions

Default Editing the look and presenation of a site

Is it at all possible to modify the look of a site without touching PHP?

I cannot find any information on editing site layout by modifying any underlying HTML and CSS, both of which I know. I found the CSS file and know what to do with it.

I am having a difficult time understanding how to modify the layout and look of pages. I have reviewed several books and waded through a number of forums only to find general information about customizing the look of a zencart that requires a deeper understanding of whole platform than I have time or inclination to develop. PHP is a bigger frog than I wish to eat and am looking for assistance/guidance in reworking the layout, look and organization of my roommates site.

All I want to do is edit content and redefine the design of the site. I do not want to do any "re-programming" or editing of PHP files. Is there any WYSIWYG way to accomplish?

Any suggestions?

Warren Stiles
    Sammamish, WA

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Editing the look and presenation of a site

There are switches and settings for a lot of page elements in admin, to determine general locations and some fundamental layout items like left/right column off.

There are hundreds of tags to hang CSS styling on, many of them not yet used in the stylesheet. With Firefox and its Web Developer extension, you can find the tags for most any element to style it.

Some modifications, while possible with CSS, are much easier done by moving blocks of code from place to place in a file - not requiring PHP knowledge, just general carefulness and following directions.

The Web Developer "edit CSS" function will let you see changes you make instantly. You can then save what you like and upload it to your site.
    Last edited by gjh42; 3 May 2007 at 09:47 PM.

Plugin Contributions

All I want to do is edit content and redefine the design of the site. I do not want to do any "re-programming" or editing of PHP files. Is there any WYSIWYG way to accomplish?
    The only method that I have read about(not done) is DreamWeaver and the expensive php extentions.

Have you read the FAQ's here on creating a template?

You really do not need to know much php or any at all to add you own graphics and design to the structure that exists. There is very little underlying html to design with in these dynamically server side constructed pages that is needed or required.

This is a mind set that those used to html have to grasp.
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Plugin Contributions

Where would you suggest I go for assistance. I can show someone else the actual page layout and graphic changes I am trying to achieve by capturing live pages and editing them to reflect the changes I want to affect on the site. I have a copy of the site and all files and folders so I can provide specific PHP files needed to affect those changes. All I need is for someone who knows what they are doing in PHP to take my HTML example pages and make the appropriate modifications to the necessary PHP files to reflect the changes shown in my example pages.

Plugin Contributions

Post a few screenshots of what you have after using admin switches, and what you want, and we can give you pointers. Better yet, a link to a live site (even a test setup in a subfolder) will let us give you exact instructions.
    Unless you want drastic layout changes or functional changes, you won't need to touch many PHP files, or know any PHP.