Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Please Help Me`

I'm in a similar situation

I just finished setting everything up after weeks of work and thought the course of the morning made a few tweaks.. and Poof! My site Died

my url is http://www.omegadigitalvoice.com/clients

When i try to get to the admin area I get the following:

0 DB_ERROR_NOT_CONNECTED
    in:
    [select * from zen_project_version WHERE project_version_key = 'Zen-Cart Database' ]
    If you were entering information, press the BACK button in your browser and re-check the information you had entered to be sure you left no blank fields.

I havent touched my database.. BUT I also have another guinea pig cart set up on the site in the /zencart folder. I use that cart to test thiings before making the actual change in the main cart.

Anyway.. It 'might' be possible that I changed a file in the /zencart (guinea
    pig cart) saw the changes worked well and moved the same file to my working cart in the /clients folder. (Just assuming .. if this has anything to do with database passwords error). Anyway.. I am a nervous wreck now and don't know where to begin..

Please help me ..

I dont recall touching a 'configure.php file.. but do recall playing with English.php files and custom/english.php files... before I mess it up any more .. please help ..

thanks..

Rich
    Last edited by rich_li_ny; 22 Sep 2007 at 12:57 PM. Reason: typo

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: URGENT! site won't connect to the database

Did you edit passwords?
    Which files did you edit ?
    Which files did you copy over?
    Did you change any configure.php files?
    You *do* have a full backup of everything from *before* you started making changes, right ?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Thanks you sop much for answering my post .. I am a total wreck right now..

Did you edit passwords?
    No

See list below

I don't think so.. which files are configure.php files and where are they located??
    (see ** below)

The files I recall working on are:

Includes/languages/english/logoff.php (I was adding a custom log off message here)
    I saved that change to my custom folder and have since deleted it after discovering this problem.

**Now.. one of the things I may did.. which I shouldn't have done was try to edit a page with my regular page editor.. versus using a text editor..
    and then clicked 'publish".. I don't recall exactly what page it was at this stage of the game but it may have been nddbc.html or page_not_found

Which files did you copy over?

I recall copying over some "english" files..
    includes/languages/custom/english.php
    includes/languages/english/custom ???
    I also looking at the index.php file that was in the cart folder.

What did was this... and this is where I may have gone terribly wrong..
    I have an two Zen Cart Installations. One in in the /clients folder and one in the /zencart folder.

I use the /zencart folder for testing things out.. if I mess up its not (supposed to be) a big deal as my main cart is left untouched. If I make a change and all is well with it.. I then make the duplicate change to my working zencart in the clients folder.

I keep backups of both folders on my local machine where I edit things and have a solid backup in the event there is a server issue etc... But I think I messed up BIG TIME today..

After testing my changes.. today.. I decided to copy a file with said changes directly from one cart to the other.. overwriting everything.. and making the upload to the server... But now that I think about it.. that shouldn't effect anything - right???

hmmmm

I can only think I possibly messed up a language file.. includes/templates/...
    or includes/languages/....

I have a backup of the entire site which is about 7 days old (about 80 hours time would be lost) that I know for a fact is reliable (just missing a LOT of recent changes). Everything is there EXCEPT the mysql database.

I can begin restoring files.. but would like to start in the right place.. as I would hate to lose ALL the work Ive done.. I just dont know which files to begin with.
    If I have a starting point I can do it all One file at a time.. till I get it right..

Thank for your help!!!

Rich

What

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by rich_li_ny View Post
    **Now.. one of the things I may did.. which I shouldn't have done was try to edit a page with my regular page editor.. versus using a text editor..
    and then clicked 'publish"..
    Which editor ?

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

See list below

I don't think so.. which files are configure.php files and where are they located??
    (see ** below)

The files I recall working on are...
    All your files have a date/time associated with them ... which is usually set to the date of the last edit.
    You should be able to identify all changes based on the dates of files.
    You should be able to do that on your PC as well as on your server.

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

I have a backup of the entire site which is about 7 days old (about 80 hours time would be lost) that I know for a fact is reliable (just missing a LOT of recent changes) ...

I can begin restoring files.. but would like to start in the right place.. as I would hate to lose ALL the work Ive done.. I just dont know which files to begin with.
    Compare all your current files against your backup files using a file-compare utility like WinMerge. It can quickly show you which files have changed, and show you specifically what changes are in those files.

Plugin Contributions

Editor Used:

SeaMonkey Suite's "composer" (Mozilla Product) Similar to the old Netscape Navigator just new and used plugins, themes and extensions like Firefox.

Compare all your current files against your backup files using a file-compare utility like WinMerge. It can quickly show you which files have changed, and show you specifically what changes are in those files.
    WOW... I didn't even think of that!!!! I swear my heads not right after this happening Great Idea! Thanks!

I never used WinMerge but I'll download a copy of it and check it out. Most of my computers are running Linux but I will run over to a windoze machine a check it out. After I get this right.. I'll find a WinMerge type program for my Linux boxes as well :)

Plugin Contributions

WHooooooHoooooooooooo I got it!!!!!

Some how my index.php file got messed up!!!! I re[placed the file with a good backup copy and all is well

DrByte,

Thank you so much for your help!!!!

Rich

Downloading WinMerge and other file now and well as making a new backup!!

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Non-Windows alternatives to WinMerge are discussed in this thread:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7330

Plugin Contributions

What if all those: servername, username, password and db name are all correct and I'm still gettin that error? What else could it be?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast