Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Installed server on a Mac. Now how do I use it??

Hello,

Newbie Zenner here. Just plunked down almost $50 for the book, and am already completely lost. Unfortunately, the book only has instructions for installing a local server on Windows.

I'm running 10.3.9 and downloaded XAMPP 0.4. Is this the correct version. If not, where do I find the right one?

In any case, I installed it, and have no clue how to even get it going. Does this involve using the terminal? Have never used this, and have already spent well over an hour trying to figure it out. I am not a programmer or developer. I'm also not an idiot, but already feeling like one.

Can anyone help?

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Installed server on a Mac. Now how do I use it??

Hello mring, if you're on Tiger, you can try the latest XAMPP for MacOS X (Tiger) or MAMP. However, both do not come with a local mail server.

Since you are running 10.3.9 (Panther) and most probably on a non-Intel Mac, you may run into problems setting things up properly. I'll see what I can do for you in this case.
    Goh Koon Hoek, author of "e-Start Your Web Store with Zen Cart".
    Printed book: www.lulu.com/content/10576284
    Electronic book and Errata: www.cucumbermedia.com/store

Plugin Contributions

Thanks so much. Yes, I am running Panther (non Intel). Got very frustrated with XAMPP last night and dumped the whole thing. Started fresh with MAMP instead (v. 1.4) because I read that that might be easier. Seemed to get it installed okay. But still no idea how to use it or where to go from there.

Is this a better way to go? It still seems way beyond my scope. Would I be better off forgoing the local host and going straight to remote?

Plugin Contributions

See my email to you and let's work out how best to move forward on the problems you've encountered so far.

Plugin Contributions

Why not continue to work it out here in the forum, so others can learn too? Or at least post a summary of the process.

Rob

Plugin Contributions

I'd also be interested to hear if you manage to get MAMP to work (properly) with zen 1.3.7.

Both the 1.4 (PPC) and the 1.6 (Universal Binary) versions install and seem to run Ok on my Mac (10.4.8), but put a (working) zen shop copy into the htdocs folder and load up the database and the following happens:

1. All prices in the shop show as zero ('0') (all prices show correctly in admin).

2. No currency signs (£) show before prices in shop.

3. The shop currency selector defaults to US (even though GBP is the default) and can't be changed.

4. Permissions on includes/configure.php need to be set to 444 to avoid the warnings (admin side is Ok at 644 though for some reason).

Tried it with both PHP 4.x.x and PHP 5.x.x in the MAMP control panel. MAMP 1.6 is using MySQL 5.0.37 - wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Interesting to see if the same happens on your system.

Plugin Contributions

Hi Rob, it's a long drawn out process and so I thought it would be better to solve her problems first and then post a summary here after that.

In this way, readers of this thread will not have to spend too much time scrolling through too many pages just to learn how we sorted out some of the issues . With the short summary of the process as a baseline, other readers of this thread can then join in and make the discussion more fruitful.

Plugin Contributions

Hi Pixxi, may I know your machine configuration i.e. OS X (Tiger), 512MB RAM, etc?

Plugin Contributions

Hi Pixxi,

I have MAMP and Zen 1.3.7 working on my iMac Intel Core 2 Dual running OS X 10.4.9. I didn't do anything special, just installed MAMP according to their directions amd then did the Zen install, also according to directions.

I was susggesting that the issues the OP was having be worked out here on the forum because I wanted to see what problems arose in 10.3.x or on a non-Intel Mac.

I see you're running 10.4.8, so maybe the difference is the Intel processor. What model Mac are you trying to run this on?

Rob

Plugin Contributions

Actually (having just looked ...) it's 10.4.9 on a G5 PPC with 1.5Gb, although I can't see the specs being the problem (unless it's the upgrade to 10.4.9 somehow - yet yours is working on 10.4.9).

Can't see the PPC/Intel difference being a cause either, since it happens with both v1.4 (PPC) and v1.6 (UB) versions of MAMP.

I had the previous version of MAMP running fine with a test copy of a production zen shop a few months ago - that would be an earlier version of OSX of course.

Odd error - almost as if the shop side isn't writing/retrieving the prices and the currency setting to/from the database properly. Yet the admin side retrieves/displays the prices fine, and the rest of the shop seems to retrieve data fine.

It's not a problem - I have another PHP/MySQL/Apache install that I use for my test server (running separately on the standard Apache/MySQL ports). Just interested to see if anyone else sees the same thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast