Plugin Contributions

Default Virtual Terminal & SSL clarification question

Hi.

Can someone please clarify this is the right way to go about taking card payments.

1. get a ssl (host offers a shared but would it be much better to get a dedicated one).

2. process payments with virtual terminal by hand.

Also, am I right in thinking this is the least expensive way but also secure? i.e. no merchant bank accounts needed - just the monthly paypal charge. Or are there any other methods? I understand website payments pro isn't integrated properly for the uk yet.

Am I likely to expect any problems with this method.

btw I installed paypal express today which seems to work fine - seems much easier for paypal customers - cheers zencart!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Virtual Terminal & SSL clarification question

I know this is an old thread but don't see the point in starting a new one...Can someone out there, who is currently using virtual terminal (Paypal) let me/us know if they are happy with what it provides etc. Did it have an impact on sales/orders?

Thanks
    Pete
    FORUM:
    # a public meeting or assembly for open discussion
    #An online discussion group, where participants with common interests can exchange open messages.
    # a public facility to meet for open discussion

Plugin Contributions

Hi there!

I run an unusual type of business in that I have a website and go to selling shows. I just started using PayPal Virtual Terminal this month and here are my thoughts...

It has nothing to do with increased sales on the website since those payments are still automatically handled through the PayPal web site interface.

My sales have increased about 20% at shows due to being able to let customers pay even when their cash has already run out.

I have had no refusal of charges so far so no comments regarding how PayPal handles that. (Keeping fingers and toes crossed that it never happens).
    Greg Krynen

www.krynen.com - Interesting answers
    www.PurpleDragonGifts.com - Jewelry and other gifts
    www.PurpleDragonTraders.com - Beads

all of life is 50/50

Plugin Contributions

Accepting card payments online via Pay Pal is great for business start-ups and by far the most cost effective solution.

However, once you get to the stage of taking card payments offline via a Virtual Terminal there are much better deals available.

Vger

Plugin Contributions

I also am using Virtual Terminal for show sales and the PayPal interface online. This has had a drastic increase in show sales for me, both in more sales overall as well as higher average sales. I also hand out coupons at the shows for discounts in my online store which is also brining in more business after the show.

I've not had any rejected transactions and have been using the Virtual Terminal for about 8 months now. The only bad thing, was that at the end of September they raised the rates for the Virtual Terminal and the only way to remove it from your PayPal account is to close the account entirely...

FiberLady
    Your Online Source for Handspinning Bamboo Fiber
    http://www.fiberlady.com/store/index.php

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Gkrynen View Post
    Hi there!
    It has nothing to do with increased sales on the website since those payments are still automatically handled through the PayPal web site interface.
    My understanding of the virtual terminal was that we capture the customers card details via the site or phone and manually enter them ourselves into the paypal system. So for example a customer visits my site, picks their items and checks out selecting credit card as payment method. Once I am ready to ship the items I charge the card by logging it through paypal...is that how it works?

Thanks
    FORUM:
    #An online discussion group, where participants with common interests can exchange open messages.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by fiberlady View Post
    I also hand out coupons at the shows for discounts in my online store which is also brining in more business after the show.

and the only way to remove it from your PayPal account is to close the account entirely...

FiberLady
    Your Online Source for Handspinning Bamboo Fiber
    http://www.fiberlady.com/store/index.php
    Quick question, how much of a discount do you give to attract the customers back? I have been selling beads on EBay and just started sending letters with the product using coupon codes for 10% but was told by two friends that 10% would not even pique their interests.

I would have to close my PayPal account to remove it? Gee it did not mention that
    Greg Krynen

all of life is 50/50

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by mediathing View Post
    My understanding of the virtual terminal was that we capture the customers card details via the site or phone and manually enter them ourselves into the paypal system. So for example a customer visits my site, picks their items and checks out selecting credit card as payment method. Once I am ready to ship the items I charge the card by logging it through paypal...is that how it works?

Thanks
    Since you will already have a PayPal account you can use the Express Checkout or PayPal IPN to do the online transactions. It is automated and the card is checked for primary security instantly through banking networks.

You can also use the credit card module and then manually do it but then you have no idea if the card is good or not until it is entered (that is the adrenaline rush part) plus it is extra work that you can avoid doing and let the automated system do it for you.
    Greg Krynen

all of life is 50/50

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Gkrynen View Post
    Since you will already have a PayPal account you can use the Express Checkout or PayPal IPN to do the online transactions. It is automated and the card is checked for primary security instantly through banking networks.

You can also use the credit card module and then manually do it but then you have no idea if the card is good or not until it is entered (that is the adrenaline rush part) plus it is extra work that you can avoid doing and let the automated system do it for you.
    Yes, however because paypal payments pro doesn't yet work on Zen, I wanted a way to keep the customer on my site, IPN puts a lot of people off because of leaving the site etc...virtual terminal seems to provide me with a way of keeping the customer on my site.

You're right about not knowing if the card will be authorised or not but I wouldn't charge the card until I was about to pack it.
    Pete
    FORUM: