Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Free Shipping on First Order

Hi!

I am designing/installing a cart for a client and for some reason they want to give customers FREE Shipping on their first order only, after that the customer will pay for shipping as normal.

Is there anyway I can set this up - the only way I could think of is to offer the customer a `coupon' for FREE SHIPPING and make it only available for use once per customer.

Thanks
    Ernie

My family and I live in Brighton, England
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Free Shipping on First Order

Here's one way I can think of: In admin/coupon admin create a coupon for free shipping and make it valid for only one use per customer.

Then go to admin/Configuration/GV Coupons and use the Welcome Discount Coupon, selecting your newly created coupon from the dropdown list. When someone creates an account, they would automatically receive a coupon that gives them free shipping one time.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by MeltDown View Post
    Here's one way I can think of: In admin/coupon admin create a coupon for free shipping and make it valid for only one use per customer.

Then go to admin/Configuration/GV Coupons and use the Welcome Discount Coupon, selecting your newly created coupon from the dropdown list. When someone creates an account, they would automatically receive a coupon that gives them free shipping one time.
    Yes, this should do it. Just make sure you don't forget to let the customer know WHAT the coupon code is since they will be in the middle of a "checkout process" by the time the email is sent off. If they can't figure out "how" to get the free shipping (and I doubt many users will think of "checking their email before they complete the checkout" .. more than likely, they will just leave and abandon the process totally) they will leave.

Just make sure somewhere that is VERY visible, you let them know "where / how" to find and use the Free Shipping Coupon Code. I would plant it right in front of them during the checkout process (maybe on the "create account" success page if you are using it) so they do not have to look at an email.
    Eric
    20 Ways to Increase Sales Using Zen Cart
    Zen Cart contribs: Simple Google Analytics, Export Shipping Information

Plugin Contributions

Hi!

Yes that's the only option I thought of was to create the welcome voucher for teh free shipping or just plaster it across the site to `Get FREE Shipping on your First Order, Use coupon xxx at Checkout' etc.

I just thought I'd ask in case there was another way than that!

Thanks for the help and advice
    Ernie

Plugin Contributions

Either that or sugges to the client that he/she can offer free shipping on the NEXT order. That way, the customer won't have to remember to check email before completing the checkout process. Also, your client could end up getting two orders instead of just the first, free shipping one.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Plugin Contributions

I wonder if there isn't something you could add to the checkout page that asks for the coupon code to say, if this is a new account, print "For your first order, use coupon code xxx to get free shipping." Put that text in red and large so they see it.

Of course, that probably might not work for PayPal Express Checkout...

Plugin Contributions

Just say for Free Shipping on your first order use Discount Coupon: FREEFIRST

Configure FREEFIRST to be a 1 use per customer Free Shipping Coupon ...

Voila!!
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Hi!

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably try and use the coupon code but now they have a most convulted shipping way.

1 - the first order must be $100 or more and gets free shipping
    (I can use a coupon and also make a minimum order value of $100)

2 - additional orders can be of any value and do not ever get free shipping
    (Any ideas as the minimum order of $100 from -1- will mess it up)

3 - if a customer has previously ordered and then order online how to stop them from getting free shipping (as they are in effect an existing customer and would have gotten free shipping, but are new to the store).
    (Unless we manually add all existing customers as accounts (and we don't have emails for them so we can't), I don;t see how to stop the cart from giving them free shipping on the first order)

--

Any ideas or solutions - I think some companies go out of their way to make ordering complicated.

Ernie

--

Plugin Contributions

You would need some custom coding for this to prevent existing customers from using the Discount Coupon if you only want a new customer on 1st order to be able to get Free shipping ...

Otherwise, anyone with the Discount Coupon code and an order over $100 could use it on any order ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

The problem is the e-store is new, so everyone is a new customer even those who have bought from the company before. At least, that's the way I understand it.
    Mary Ellen
    I came; I saw; I Zenned
    Taking over the world... one website at a time
    Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear... or fingers to keyboard.

Holzheimer
    Fan Odyssey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast