Plugin Contributions

Default Can I make a site with multiple shops in it?

Dear zenners, I want to know if I can make a site with multiple shops in it with zen cart software. I'm making a site that works like a mall and I need to be able to add products based on the user's shop. So, it could also have the functionality of being browsed by the shop's name.

Thanks in advance,

Rev07

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Can I make a site with multiple shops in it?

well one way to accomplish it is to use main categories as store names, then the subcategories of each would be the stores categories, then the 2nd level would be either subcategories or products. example:

CATEGORY #1 = MyStore
    SUBCATEGORY = CLOTHES
    SUB-SUBCATEGORY = Womens Clothes
    SUB-SUBCATEGORY = Mens Clothes
    SUBCATEGORY = SHOES
    SUB-SUBCATEGORY = Tennis shoes
    SUB-SUBCATEGORY = Golf SHoes
    SUBCATEGORY = HATS
    SUB-SUBCATEGORY = Wide-brim Hats
    SUB-SUBCATEGORY = Baseball Hats

CATEGORY #2 = AnotherStore
    SUBCATEGORY1 = DOG FOOD
    SUB-SUBCATEGORY1 = Wet Dog Food
    SUB-SUBCATEGORY2 = Dry Dog Food
    SUBCATEGORY2 = CAT FOOD
    SUB-SUBCATEGORY1 = Wet Cat Food
    SUB-SUBCATEGORY2 = Dry Cat Food
    SUB-SUBCATEGORY3 = Live Cat Food
    SUBCATEGORY3 = BIRD SEED
    SUB-SUBCATEGORY1 = Sunflower Seed
    SUB-SUBCATEGORY2 = Hemp Seed

In the above example you would handle all payments at one central location. Method 2 would involve you setting up seperate zencart installations, each their own folder off of the root directory of your server. You would then enter the info for each store in their respective zencart installs, then you would make one more zencart to be the main store, here you could use the blank sidebox module to be the categories box. Then you would set up the stores as in the above example, except when people view products, they never leave your storefront, and when they check out, each store owner would get their portion of the order. This would take a little effort on the part of a decent programmer, a few hours if they are already familiar with the workings of zencart. The same thing could probably be accomplished with just multiple databases too. Again you would need a programmer...
    Grasshopper, GOT BOOK? - I don't, and I am constantly in here begging for help and Donating to Zen Cart in feeble attempts to bribe the developers for help. Get your copy today and avoid my fate!

Plugin Contributions

Thanks for your reply, your first option seems best for the site I will design. I also know PHP and MySQL so I can play with it a little bit. My next challenge will be to find a way to automate the client's tables creation depending on the shop type he will add.
    Thanks for your advice that was exactly what I was looking for.

Plugin Contributions

There's also a multi-store add-on module to allow you to run several stores from one database and one code set, but give each an individual store front.
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Well thanks for the advice but, for the site Im planning to design I need to be able to do everything from my storefront and somehow pay the shop owner for the item he sold. Also I need to implement something to deduct some percentage from his sold item price into my account.

Another feature I need is to be able to dinamycally add the new shop to my database base on its type. Then add the categories and subcategories depending on his/her store type. Maybe I would need to program it from bottom up, don't know if I can I do what I want with zen-cart.

I will update this post tomorrow with my planned website features so all you great zenners can help me better.

Thanks for this great community and for their support.

P.D. I will update this tomorrow.