Plugin Contributions

Default PayPal Express Checkout module now recommended over PayPal IPN?

Hello all-- Is the new PayPal Express Checkout payment module now recommended to use instead of the PayPal IPN (Instant Payment Notification) module?

The thing that kept me from using the PayPal Express Checkout module was that I believed that PayPal offered Express Checkout only with their Web Payments Pro plan, which includes a monthly fee. However, I now notice that if one has a Paypal Premium or Business account, there is a link in the Profile section of one's account called "API Access" which allows one to get the username, password and "signature key" necessary to use Express Checkout, without having to sign up for Web Payments Pro.

Best wishes,

Steve
    http://www.flytrapranch.com/

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: PayPal Express Checkout module now recommended over PayPal IPN?

just from playing with the paypal express module over a span of a couple weeks I noticed an odd phenomena... a decline in sales during our busy season.. as soon as i went back to paypal ipn, the sales came back up... so I don't know if it was a paypal express interface issue that people didn't like or what... but i liked it... so now i'm nervous to go back to paypal express... and seeing that paypal pro requires express kind of bugs me a bit.. oh well..

i think i'm going to try it again this week and see if the results are the same as before, crossing my fingers that they don't drop..

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: PayPal Express Checkout module now recommended over PayPal IPN?

I liked the clean, simple one-path flow of the checkout process with PayPal IPN, but PayPal Express Checkout seems to be more foolproof and more detailed in its data transmission.

However, one thing that I think may be confusing to customers is the presence of two "proceed" buttons at the shopping cart display page, one with "Go To Checkout" on it and one with "Checkout with PayPal" on it. Users without a PayPal account may not realize that PayPal Express Checkout can process their order without a PayPal account, or they may wonder which button of the two they should click and what the difference is between the two.

I think that it might help if there were some text next to each button, one saying "Standard Checkout" and the other saying "Express Checkout with PayPal (no account needed)" or something like that. I would find the presence of two checkout buttons confusing if I were a customer.

Steve