Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Canada post shipping module

Quote Originally Posted by numinix View Post
    They are in the configuration already!

If you plan on using this module I highly recommend installing my update which will allow you more versatility with handling fees since most payment providers charge a fee on the entire amount including the shipping charge.
    Well, they are not in my admin configurations... In the version that I have, V1.3.7c, these settings are only in the files.
    Which one is your version?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

most payment providers charge a fee on the entire amount including the shipping charge.
    Can you please elaborate on what you mean by this statement?

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by HiPCTech View Post
    Well, they are not in my admin configurations... In the version that I have, V1.3.7c, these settings are only in the files.
    Which one is your version?
    Hmm, I must be mistaken then. Does Canada Post itself accept both units? If so, there should be an option to switch to/from metric from within the config.

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by this statement?
    No problem, if a customer purchases an item for $10.00 and shipping price of $5.00, the total to be processed by the payment processor would be $15.00. If the fee were 3%, this would equal $0.45 with $0.15 generated from the shipping charge. Now, let's say you charge a flat handling fee of $1.00 in order to cover the processing fees. If a customers shipping ends up being over $33.33, then you will take a loss on the additional processing fee which has now become higher than your flat rate handling fee.

On the other end of the spectrum, if you charge a $5.00 handling fee to cover higher shipping costs, when a customer purchases an item that should only cost $5.00 to ship and now has to pay $10.00, you may now lose the sale.

My updated version allows the user to use either/both the flat rate or the percentage handling fee.

Plugin Contributions

Hmm, I must be mistaken then. Does Canada Post itself accept both units? If so, there should be an option to switch to/from metric from within the config.
    Are you talking about the CanadaPost configurations or the ZC configurations? I myself have not seen it that Canada Post accepts both units; although, I haven't looked into it too much either. I thought that the module would convert it. I can't use kg for the the products because I have other shipping modules and they would not know that I have it set up to kg, at least I don't think so. What do you think?

God bless.

Plugin Contributions

I have found that since my store is set to kg/cm by default, if I enter a product using lb/in, they will appear in kg/cm but with the exact same numerical digits as I had input for lb/in. So, I input all my products in kg/cm to avoid this issue. ZC itself should be converting units just as it does for currencies. Hopefully someone will fix this for you.

Plugin Contributions

Actually, it's pretty simple to do, you can just do the conversions yourself within the script and when I get a chance I'll do the update to allow selection from the admin.

Apparently, Zen Cart doesn't actually store the weights in any unit. Instead, the number is sent to the module which then handles it using it's default measurement. So, if your store is in lb/in, you will need to divide the weight by approx 2.2 to get the kg and multiply by 2.5 to get the cm.
    Last edited by numinix; 11 Jul 2007 at 07:03 PM.

Plugin Contributions

Actually, it's pretty simple to do, you can just do the conversions yourself within the script and when I get a chance I'll do the update to allow selection from the admin.

Apparently, Zen Cart doesn't actually store the weights in any unit. Instead, the number is sent to the module which then handles it using it's default measurement. So, if your store is in lb/in, you will need to divide the weight by approx 2.2 to get the kg and multiply by 2.5 to get the cm.
    That is, I think, the problem, that ZC doesn't store the units in any format. So I could have a shipping module to think that the weight is in lbs and another that thinks that it is in kgs...
    This should be added to the future wishlist. There should be at least a general configuration setting that sets what the general units are.

Kim, DrByte of Ajeh what do you think of this?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by HiPCTech View Post
    This should be added to the future wishlist. There should be at least a general configuration setting that sets what the general units are.

Kim, DrByte of Ajeh what do you think of this?
    There are no plans to do this. If your particular needs require otherwise, you are welcome to write custom code to support your needs.
    In the case of your CP shipping module, it would seem the custom coding requirement is minimal.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

I've taken a closer look at the Canada Post module and it appears that if any products were entered using lbs/cm, it automatically converts them to kg before sending to Canada Post...

I'd recommend setting up a test website with an exact same product but with the opposite unit of measure and see if it returns different results. I'll upload version 1.3.7d sometime tomorrow. It can be downloaded from my website in the meantime.

Plugin Contributions

Is it possible to have the module automatically use the user selected language to communicate with the canada post server? I.e customers who make their order using french language get responses in french from canadapost, those who use the english language get responses in english.

I'm going to have to create the language/french files for the module and I'll gladly provide them to whoever needs them.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast