Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plugin Contributions

Default Conflicting Contributions, list them here!

Is there a list of contributions that conflict with each other?

If not then I would like to start one here. Does anyone know of conflicting contributions for Zen Cart 1.3.7

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Conflicting Contribtutions, list them here!

I was just thinking along the sames lines as you, so I log into zen and what do I find at the top of the list, but this thread.
    What is they say, great minds think alike.

There are a few things to consider though in starting a thread like this, here are my thoughts anyhow.

Define conflicting contributions? The thing to consider is, is it a true conflict between Mods? Is it a configuration error? A user error? or something else?

I know that in mods there are normally docs that tell you which version the mod is for, and if the author knows of any compatability errors.

Another thing to consider is how competent the webmaster is. I know when I first started playing with Zen I knew nothing about PHP etc, so I just started playing around and made a lot of mistakes that I thought were script problems, but was me forgetting or not know what to do, how the admin settings effected mods etc.

Anyways, here is what I run and mods installed, this way we will get an idea of what does work together, and what changes needed to be made for them to do so.

Zen Cart 1.3.6
    Database Patch Level: 1.3.6
    PHP 4.4.4
    Payment modules - Paymex, Bank Deposit, Cheque money order, Purchase order.
    Image Handler 2 for Zencart 1.3
    Super Orders V2
    Ultimate SEO URLs for Zen Cart V1.3.5 Compatible
    Column Layout / Grid Layout for Products Listing ( For Zen Cart v1.3.6)
    Using Zen Cart modified default template.
    Quick Updates V2.0 by Paul Mathot Zen Cart v1.3.6 (works on several older version too)

The mods I have listed all seem to work well together and give you a lot more control over your products etc. You can find all of them in the contributions section and they all have well written docs.
    There are a few things that you must do to use these, so read the docs.

In all cases Backup before making any changes and keep a log of the changes you make, for future reference.

Hope this starts the beginning of an interesting thread.

Plugin Contributions

It would never really work to try to manage a conflict list ...

All add-ons are updated too often and are made smarter each time and try to better utilize the built in features to make the add-ons more and more plug-n-play to eliminate conflict ...

I think this list would quickly become more confusing than helpful ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Ajeh,

I understand what your saying, and agree on some level, however I still feel that we users need some way of knowing whether google checkout is going to work with the friendly SEO mod before trying it out. That's an example, I'm not saying that either is incompatible, just something I was thinking about trying.

Another reason I started this thread is that I don't like how users are actually yelling at contributers to fix the contribution they write. Now understand that I did have a moment of weekness when I started using this version of Zen Cart and didn't understand the override system.

In any case it is not the fault of the contributer that the user doesn't backup or at least test the script on a test store
    instead of on a live store but that's going to happen in open source and I'm not sure there's any way around it.

So I felt that a thread like this would be helpful. However since it's been up for a few days now and no entries of actual

Plugin Contributions

You never know ... others may find it helpful ...

Just keep in mind that updates are made often to both add-ons and Zen Cart ... so the idea is backup everything ... database and site ... and be careful on the merging of files as these will cause conflicts if not careful ...

If making an add-on, keep in mind the concept of plug-n-play ...

There are so many built in features to Zen Cart to help make add-ons touch the least number of core files, if any, when building them ...

Take the time to try to learn about how to make a good add-on ...
    Linda McGrath
    If you have to think ... you haven't been zenned ...

Did YOU buy the Zen Cart Team a cup of coffee and a donut today? Just click here to support the Zen Cart Team!!

Are you using the latest? Perhaps you've a problem that's fixed in the latest version: [Upgrade today: v1.5.5]
    Officially PayPal-Certified! Just click here

Try our Zen Cart Recommended Services - Hosting, Payment and more ...
    Signup for our Announcements Forums to stay up to date on important changes and updates!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: These Contributions are working together.

I found a list of computable contributions that a user put in another thread.

Image Handler2.0
    Zen lightbox
    ezpopulate
    Simple google analytics
    SQL Backup
    tabbedlite
    Wordpress
    Testimonial manager
    google maps
    paypal express patch
    Ultimate SEO's
    Social Bookmarking
    Better together
    Css flyout
    USPS Click and Ship
    Link Manager 3
    google sitemaps
    google froogle feeder
    So now I can confidently install ultimate SEO with google froogle feeder.

JP

Plugin Contributions

JP-

I can certainly understand your desire for a "list". But the problem is the list you posted does not list the version numbers of the mods or the release dates. Also it does not include any info if the mod or Zen Cart has been patched between versions. For instance DrByte has been updated the PayPal payment mod a number of times since the release of Zen Cart 1.37. How do we determine if the mods in the list support Zen Cart patches after 1.37 was released? Rhetorical question. The answer is we cannot.

Also there is no info on which template was installed where the mod was tested and deemed "compatible". And no info on if/how template might have been customized. And of course that info cannot be easily known

And there are hosting provider and account configuration variables in the equation. (including PHP, Apache, MySQL, SSL, cURL, GD, etc.).

Also keep in mind that some mod and Zen Cart functions may have been observed to behave when the mod is tested but rarely used functions might not get tested, and issues not discovered. Unless a user utilizes/tests every single feature in Zen Cart, after upgrading or after installing a mod, one never truly knows if the mod is truly compatible (e.g. coupons, gift certificates, virtual downloads, advanced attributes, etc).

And as previously suggested there are potential mod 'interactions". And sometimes the order in which the various mods are installed can make a difference (dependencies).

And differences can sometimes be observed when installing mods on a Zen Cart that has been upgraded from a previous version versus installing mods on a fresh Zen Cart 1.37 installation.

The point here is there are so many scenarios (permutations) to consider.

And as another poster suggested, what is the agreed upon definition for "compatible"?

So there is no magic bullet.

The best solution is to read (and keep up to date on) the mod support thread for the contribution you are interested in. That is the ONLY way. But even then you will not ever know till you try the mod out for an extensive period of time.

Woody

Plugin Contributions

But it is nice to have a running start....

so with the above said I have tested the following mods in Zen Cart 1.37 and have them ALL working TOGETHER. Note some misc edits/patches were required, most patches gleaned from info posted in the support threads...so please don't ask me which edits I have implemented. Instead see the specific mod support thread for fix/patch info.

NOTES:
    (1) Most versions of installed mods listed below are current versions.
    (2) All installed mods work fine, but not necessarily out-of-the-box. YMMV.
    (3) Mods have been tested with various templates (some available in the downloads area and my own custom templates). YMMV.
    (4) Bug patches (mods and Zen Cart core) and customizations (template and CSS) have been implemented. (Again too many to list here).
    (5) Some other mods not on this list were previously installed, and found to work fine, then later removed.
    (6) Mods installed on top of each other after a fresh install of Zen Cart 1.37 (not upgrade).
    (7) Not all mods are available in Zen Cart downloads area. To locate source see the specific mod thread.
    (8) No SEO mod is/was installed during mod testing.
    (9) No animals were harmed during mod testing.

** INSTALLED MODS on ZEN CART 1.37: **
    Admin Profiles (1.06)
    Ask-a-Question (1.7)
    Backup MySQL (1.2.0.10a)
    Better Together (1.3)
    CAPTCHA TTF (2.6)
    Category Tabs and Rollovers (1.1a)
    Column Layout Grid (for product listing) (1.36)
    ComodoSideBox (1.23)
    Credit Card Sidebox (1.2)
    CrossSell (1.3.1)
    CSS Horizontal Drop Down Menu (1.2)
    Designer Monthly Boxes (0.2)
    Email Archive Search (1.1)
    Google Analytics (v 1.2.2)
    GoogleFroogle (1.3.3.3)
    GoogleSitemapAdmin (1.3.7)
    ImageHandler2 (09-16-06)
    Info at a Glance (1.5)
    Master Password Encrypted (1.1.1)
    Order Steps Tableless (1.0)
    Printable Pricelist (1.3 pre2)
    Proper Case (1.35)
    Recover_Cart_Sales (02.27.07)
    Robots_Monitoring (01-20-06)
    RSS2 (1.5.7)
    Sales Report (2.0 rev 104)
    Save Sidebox settings as Default (1.0)
    Short Description (1.1)
    Tabbed Products Lite (3.8)
    Time Zone Offset (1.3.7)
    User Tracking (1.3.6.2)
    Zen Lightbox (1.3)

** Pmt Mods: **
    Fax Payment ccbyfax (1.3)
    Ceon Manual-Offline Card Payment Mod (1.0)
    Paypal Sessions Viewer (1.0)

** Ship Config; **
    Two Zone Shipping Setup (1.0)

** Mods still having issues with **
    Quick Layout Controller (1.0.0)
    Google Checkout (1.3RC1rev1 - ship config issue - awaiting fix)

As always please take anything I post with a grain of salt. All mistakes are my own. And consider this list out-of-date the second after I post it. Good night and good luck.

Woody

Plugin Contributions

Instead of a conflicting list, I would rather see a compatability list.

Have users list their version and the mods that they have used that worked, They could add the ones they tried to add that did not work with their version if they would like to.

Please note that php and mysql versions do play a part also as some older code just does not work with the latest versions of php and mysql.

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Conflicting Contributions, list them here!

Instead of a conflicting list, I would rather see a compatability list.
    There are on the order of 200+ mods in the download section and this would equate to 200x200=4000 permutations or combinations that someone would have to test.

It is difficult to state with accuracy that these are safe no matter which others are loaded with them.

Several are compatible but touch like files and just installing the file included will cause the other to not function - and where one has to combine the contents of the like files(merge)
    Zen-Venom Get Bitten

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast