Thread: Lost Sales?

Plugin Contributions

Default Lost Sales?

I have loaded the latest PayPal Patch v510 a few days ago. I have had some minor issues that I worked through with great support. Recently I have noticed my orders dropped to 0. I have seen a lot of traffic and serval customer signup, but still no orders. I have been check transaction with a third-party utility “view stuck paypal orders”. This utility drills down into the database and picks up any transactions – so it appears.

So I search my “stuck paypal orders” utility and found three of the several had placed orders, but nothing shows up in my orders screen or in my paypal account. I just downloaded ipncheck.php, and that test passed the communication. The response was “IPN TESTING - Confirmation/Validation response: RESPONSE RECEIVED - Communications OKAY”. I also completed a transaction myself and all went well.

My question is, did those customers place orders? I have item number, customer name and number, and PayPal transaction. Is it possible that these customers canceled just before the final PayPal step? I just turned on the PayPal Log file hoping this might log something. Any help would be great.

Thanks
    John Kosh

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Default Re: Lost Sales?

Viewing Stuck PayPal orders only relates to PayPal IPN transactions.
    This data consists of all shopping carts that made it to the checkout-confirmation screen which sent customers to PayPal to actually pay for their order.

If you *did* get money for that order in your PayPal account but see no order in your store, then your communications between your site and PayPal is not working.

If the customer never completed payment, then you didn't get money in your PayPal account, and you didn't get an order in your cart. ie: they abandoned the process before completing payment. This appears to be what you're describing.
    If the customer had a problem at the PayPal site, you'll never know it. If they're having a problem using PayPal, you'll need to deal with PayPal on that.
    Perhaps this is related to your other similar post about missing items on the PayPal user interface. http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66216

PayPal Express Checkout does not use this same model. It goes to PayPal *before* the checkout process completes. There is no storage of shopping-basket or customer data unless they created an account on your site. You could look at the "Recover Carts" contribution if you wanted to look at abandoned orders for registered customers.

Zen Cart - putting the dream of business ownership within reach of anyone!
    Donate to: DrByte directly or to the Zen Cart team as a whole

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by DrByte View Post

If you *did* get money for that order in your PayPal account but see no order in your store, then your communications between your site and PayPal is not working.
    I've been having this problem, is there an easy fix for this? Tired of having to email the customer saying something along the lines of I got your payment, but what did you order?

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by thebeadcage View Post
    I've been having this problem, is there an easy fix for this? Tired of having to email the customer saying something along the lines of I got your payment, but what did you order?
    easy fix?
    That all depends on what version of Zen Cart you're using, what addons you've installed, what patches you've installed, how you've configured your PayPal account, how you've configured your Zen Cart store, how your webserver communicates to PayPal and back, and so on.

More information would be useful, including a URL.

Remember: Any code suggestions you see here are merely suggestions. You assume full responsibility for your use of any such suggestions, including any impact ANY alterations you make to your site may have on your PCI compliance.
    Furthermore, any advice you see here about PCI matters is merely an opinion, and should not be relied upon as "official". Official PCI information should be obtained from the PCI Security Council directly or from one of their authorized Assessors.

Plugin Contributions

Yeah, giving you more information would’ve been helpful. Sorry. I’m using ZenCart version 1.3.7, the add-ons I am using are; Google Froogle Feeder, Google Mapinator, Credit Cards Accepted Side box, Improved Attributes Controller & Paypal Verified Logo side box. The website address is http://www.thebeadcagebeads.com
    Is this what you meant by house is paypal configured?
    Enable PayPal Module
    True
    Business ID
    [email protected]
    Transaction Currency
    Only USD
    Set Pending Notification Status
    Pending [1]
    Set Order Status
    Processing [2]
    Set Refund Order Status
    Pending [1]
    [FONT=&quot]Page Style[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Primary[/FONT]

Blog Entries
    Plugin Contributions

1. Please install the latest patch for PayPal, found here:
    http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56216

2. Turn on debug logging.
    http://www.zen-cart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61199

3. Do some test transactions, and if they don't work, download the logs and post a link to the zip file where the logs can be read.