Plugin Contributions

Default raaghh! im confused!

Hi there! im completely new to this stuff!

Im trying and build zen cart offline therefore i am trying to install php/apache/sql etc.

The problem i am having is that when i try install apache using terminal i receive the following error

"no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH"

I therefore need to find a c compiler. From what i have gathered the gcc is only availible for windows although i have one called Xcode but i have only found a version compatable with osx 10.4.x and i am using 10.3.x.

Can someone please offer me some advice? im really not sure i what i am tring to do is correct.

Is it better to build zen cart online instead of setting up my mac to build it offline?

help would be really appreciated! thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Default Re: raaghh! im confused!

Me too. Most of the time. But let's have a dabble anyway.

Sound like you've got the source code rather than the binary image for Apache. I'd stop and start again. If you've got an Intel Mac then there's an XAMPP installation package that I managed to install on a MacBook Pro in under an hour and I ain't a Mac person (having spent a quarter of a century working on PCs).
    Kuroi Web Design and Development | Twitter

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

ok ive found mamp so ill give that a go!

Plugin Contributions

thanks for you help!

Plugin Contributions

Mamp looks like a good option. Probably better than Xampp as I like the look of that cool desktop widget. Please post back and let us know how it goes - I may switch (I'm a sucked for cool widgets).

(Questions answered in the forum only - so that any forum member can benefit - not by personal message)

Plugin Contributions

Default still confused!

Ok ive downloaded MAMP and draged the MAMP folder into my applications folder as requested!

I then dragged all of the folders/files in the zen cart package and placed them in the htdocs folder of MAMP.

Then i typed in the the following URL

http://localhost/Macintosh HD/Applications/MAMP/htdocs/zc_install/

I get the error msg "it could not connect to the server “localhost”. etc"

Can someone see what i am doing wrong?

Im sorry if this is a simple question however im a total beginer and also new to macs.

Thanks!

Plugin Contributions

Moderator note: I have merged the second thread into this one as they are still on the same topic.

Please do not start a new thread for a continuation of a problem.
    Please do not PM for support issues: a private solution doesn't benefit the community.

Be careful with unsolicited advice via email or PM - Make sure the person you are talking to is a reliable source.

Plugin Contributions

Sounds like you've installed the package but not actually started the server running. But as I'm neither a Mac person, nor a Mamp user, I'll have to refer you back to the Mamp site / instructions to find out how to do that for Mamp specifically (in WAMP and XAMPP there's a file that needs to be run each time you want to start the server - MAMP has to be the same).

Plugin Contributions

1. Run the MAMP application/control panel and start Apache and MySQL - it's in Applications/MAMP/mamp, but the installer might have also put an alias to it in your dock.

2. Once Apache and MySQL show green, click on 'open start page' in the MAMP control panel - you should get a 'Welcome to MAMP' page in your browser.

3. The URL for your zen cart installer is:

http://localhost:8888/zc_install/

Notice MAMP runs Apache on port 8888 (:8888) - you need this in the URL each time or OS X will try to use port 80, which is the standard port for Apache, and you'll get the 'could not connect to the server “localhost' error because the built-in Apache (on port 80) isn't running.

Clear as mud? :)
    Last edited by Pixxi; 28 Jun 2007 at 02:03 PM.